Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the front blinkers with the smaller flush ones. Does any one know how to take off the old ones without completely undoing the entire plastics faring front and sides? Thanks for your help

Flying Dutchman

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well Ill tell you what I did. I have a 2001 ZX-9R and I took the front signals and twisted them 90degrees upwards while pulling down on them. there is a backing plate behind it but it will come out. then you get a 10mm socet and loosen the nut behind the shaft to seperate the shaft from the signal then snip the wires at the signal. thats it and it only took me 15min to do the front.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of blikers did you use to replace them with?
It seem rather hard to find ones that fit properly and then to mount them is also tough!

Flying Dutchman

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
when I did my 6R, I thought about trying to leave the front fairing on, but I eventually decided that it was worth the time to pull the piece off and do the highest quality job I could. That meant getting in there with the fairing removed. It took a bit longer, but I think the result was worth it.

"With Dr. Boogie, the diagnosis is always funk!"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dutch, I just changed out my 2002 9R blinkers. All I did was twist out the existing ones and cut the wires "LONG you will need them for screw ups". The other way to do this is to use a long Phillips screw driver and attack the mountaing bracket through the hole near the tire!! as for mountaing the new ones I usde the lockhart phillips lg. flush mounted binkers. I used Ti- sheet metal screws and screwed them into the fairing.I then used 50 year silicone to seal the perimiter. so far it holds at 160MPH with no signs of letting up. Sory for the spelling I'm a wrench guy not a $^%$#^%$# dictionary guy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments! I got the lockhards as well, I am curious though as to whether I end up having a little gap because there is a little buldging ledge in the faring which sticks out a bid and if I put the blinker over it there may be a little opening between the new blinker and the faring. Do yours fit properly?

Flying Dutchman

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dutch,

First off I removed fairings, it made it easier. Second, I'm not sure which Lockhart flush mounts you got, I tried a few of them and finally went with the ones on my profile. Rather than grinding a couple hundred $$$ fairing or having gap between the fairing and blinker I (do to a fellow esportbiker advice, sorry i forgot who) cut up the $30 blinkers instead. Toward the front backside (metal piece)of the blinker cut out a U (laying the U on it's side/ open end facing rear of bike) to match the shape of the plastic. Then when you mount the blinker the fairing should act like the male and the blinker should act as a female and "receive" the fairing giving you a true flush mount.

Later,
Rob
<font color=red>Follow the leader, "He's on a HONDA!"</font color=red>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dutch,
I had the buldge also. I just screwed the lights onto the bike through the lens cover holes and filled the gap with silicone. I will send you a photo
Dano

Officer I was no where in the area at that time!!! Trust me

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys have been of great help! I think I am going to try Dan's way, I got the same blinkers but with a white lens.
Great looking bike!
Thanks again!

Flying Dutchman

·
Registered
756 Posts
To do it right it isn't that much of a pain to take the front clip off. I have done it enough to know. If you want to wire it up the right way and reuse the quick disconnects that is the easiest way. Unless you want to put the old handle bar looking turn signals back on, just get a dremil tool and take off that little hump of plastic on the front of the old turn signal hole. It isn't like you are going to change your mind and want those other ones back. Just a thought.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Taking off the hump would work however with the blinkers he is using that would only give you a little over 1/8th" to screw into.

Officer I was no where in the area at that time!!! Trust me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts