Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bike won\'t start

hi all,
i left my bike (93 ex500) sitting outside, in the cold and rain, without starting it for about 3 months now.
i know it's a mistake, but i'm a newbie.
now it won't start. what should i do now?
tia

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re: bike won\'t start

Jesus, Mary & Joseph! Would you leave a CHILD out in the cold?!?! Ferchrissakesman, rent a garage!( Had to get that out of my system) O.k. Does the battery still have any power in it, or is it dead? You can jump a bike off of a car battery, although you need to know how to PROPERLY connect jumper cables to do so. You'll probably have water in the gas, and thus the carbs, due to condensation, but IF it starts that way, you're really lucky. If it does start through jump starting, let it run for at LEAST 5 minutes before you shut it off, then take, don't ride it to the bike shop/ mechanic friend of your choice & have them check EVERYTHING over. Tire pressure & condition, brakes,(fluid changed yearly),change the oil & filter, clean and/or lube all cables, check & repair any bad lightbulbs, check, adjust & lube chain, basically go over the bike & correct anything that may have gone awry in the off months while sitting out in the cold being neglected & unloved by it's once adoring owner who felt no guilt or shame leaving it outdoors to fend for itself.( Oh the HUMANITY!!)(HAHAHA!!!!!)But seriously...
Have a competent mechanic or friend go over the bike BEFORE you ride it, and ask to watch if possible, you'll definately learn from it. Good luck!!

<font color=purple> This bike capable of evading high speed pursuit!</font color=purple>

·
Registered
3,879 Posts

have you tried push starting it?? Is it even cranking over?? (get a real good friend to push ya!) :)

now, i wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but, if it were mine, I'd drain the gas out of the tank, fill it with some good gas. (I'd not mess with carb. bowls yet)

Then,<<<<siiiighhhhh>>>>, I'd spray a SMALL amount of ether (starting fluid) into the air intake. (where-ever that might be on your bike)

Then I'd give it the ol heave ho'. Push start it. Try both 1st and 2nd gear. Push in neutral, pull in clutch, click into gear, then let the clutch out. If it TRIES to fire, you need to quickly pull the clutch back in and give it a little throttle.

Good luck.....

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i think it begins to try to crank over, but after a second (literally)--nothing.
after hitting the start button so many times, now it just pops the rpm up to 4000 without any cranking/activity at all.
probably a dead battery?
a push start didn't seem to help much either.

·
Registered
824 Posts

I agree, DEAD Battery. . . .BAD GAS. . . .
I'd empty the old gas from the tank, AND THE FLOAT Bowls.
I'd have a fresh charge on the old battery or just buy a new battery. . . .OH, and make sure ya put in 100% Gasoline, don't get the stuff with additives, those additives need a hotter flame to burn. . . . . PLUS the battery needs a full charge to keep from fouling the plugs which ya might as well go ahead and replace those also. . .
Drained batteries let plugs foul easy, especially when ya have old gas. . . .

Real communication happens when people feel safe.
'from the heart of a leader.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

when in doubt just go buy a new bike/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thanks for the advice everyone.
you guys are always very helpful.

i'll try the following:
1. better push start w/ a friend's help
2. jump start using my car's battery
3. there's already gas, but i could try draining it
4. replace the spark plugs
5. check the air filter
6. as for spraying starter fluid into the carbs--i'll see if i can do it (not very good with auto/bike mechanics)

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

As a fellow EX500 owner, I say "TSK TSK TSK. HOW DARE YOU DISGRACE US!!"

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ok, using my car for a jump start didn't work.
the bike started to crank, unlike before, but it still didn't turn over.
so, now i know i need a new battery, but something else is also wrong...
this may get ugly...

·
Registered
19 Posts

If it didn't turn over, you didn't get enough juice to it. Attaching car jumper cables to motorcycles is tricky. While the others may be right about the bad gas thing, you're not there yet. The best solution is to remove the battery and recharge it. If this is not possible, then try jumping it.

1. Turn key off
2. Connect a cable from the positve terminal of the booster battery to the positve battery terminal at the starter relay.
3. Connect the other cable from the negative terminal of the booster battery to an unpainted metal surface on the motorcycle - like the brake pedal. DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE CARBURATORS, OR ANYTHING ELSE IN THE VICINITY.

** Don't crank the starter for more than 5-7 seconds continuously and wait 15-20 seconds in between starting attempts.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
695 Posts

You know...I can't even imagine leaving my bike out in the weather for 3 months!! Let alone not even bothering to start it!! Why own a bike....if you're not going to take care of it. /images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
938 Posts

As mentioned above, jump start the bike by either pushing or using a car battery. First change the gas and plugs and inspect the air filter assembly (make sure there isn't a clog with sh?t that may have gotten in. It after this doesn't work check for spark and gas to make sure both are flowing. Other than that it would be best to have a qualified tech figure it out. As for why it was left out in the cold for 3 months! Well maybe he can afford it. I see lots of bikes here in my area left out all winter long. Just about 1 mile from me there are 2 bikes that have been left outside since last October right by the front door of the house. I figured they must be rich and can afford to replace them yearly. OH Well wish I could afford it, I would still take care of it but at least I'd have money every year for mods.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

the battery is now charged.
and, of course, the bike (still) starts to crank, but doesn't turn over.
next, i'll probably try draining the gas tank.
i'm having trouble trying to remove the gas tank so i can have access to the air filter/plugs/etc.
anyone know how to take the gas tank off?
thanks again!

oh, and hey guys...
i'm not rich, i'm just new to riding.
probably more stupid and lazy than anything! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts

To take the tank of you need to remove the rear fairings...I think you can get away without removing the front fairing. Take off the seat, and unbolt the big bolt that holds the tank down (can't miss it)...now slowly and carefully swivel the tank up... it's attached to the carbs by two hoses which you'll have to disconnect once you get it up a little bit, this is easier if you have someone help you. Once they're disconnected it's no problem to swivel it up and lift it off.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

First of all turn the fuel petcock to off. Pull the seat (key hole is on the side above the rear wheel) and find the big bolt right behind the gas tank in front of the battery. That's what holds the tank on. I took the tank off once, and it's easier to pull the fairings off first. I don't remember if it's necessary. There should be two screws underneath the fairings above the frame. Nothing is really hidden so just look around the perimeter of the fairing for the screws.

After the tank is off it will be easy to check the airbox and the spark plugs. Might not take much longer to drop in a new air filter (or clean the one you have) and 2 new spark plugs.

The Clymer book is about the only reference out there on the EX-500 (I have a 1991 version of your bike). Not the greatest but not terrible.

Also check http://www.nethole.com/dod/ex500/maintain/.

Some people have recommended cleaning the carbs, too. That's a good step but is a little more difficult than anything else suggested. I would put the new gas in the tank first and let it run for a while and see if you have problems. If you still have problems, take everything apart again and clean the carburetors. Just my opinion. There are more qualified ones on this site.

·
Registered
693 Posts

I dont know if you have to fully remove the fairing to get the tank off but the fairings are connected to the gas tank by two screws on either side.
I know my EX doesnt like to start even after only sitting a couple of weeks.I just spray a little starter fluid in the carbs and it usually fires up.

<font color=red>Whatcha doin?</font color=red> Chewin Chocolate<font color=red>Where'd you get it?</font color=red>doggie dropped it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

thanks for the replies everyone.
gregs, thanks for the link--the pics really helped.

so i took the seat, then the side fairings off.
unscrewed the front fairings--didn't have to take them completely off.
took off the fuel tank, and checked the air filter (seems okay for now, i'll get a tune-up).

now, a couple questions:
1. how do i drain the fuel tank? by completely removing the (little) fuel filter? what if the screws (to the filter) are stripped?
2. for some reason, i can't get the spark plug cables off of the spark plugs. is it different from cars? i shake/jiggle/pull, but it seems a lot harder to pull off than it should be. ideas? i don't want to break the spark plugs.
3. i believe the carbs are the 2 round parts. am i supposed to take the caps off, and spray starter fluid directly in? or should i not even try (i don't know what i'm doing at all)?

i'm losing hope.
looks like i'll end up towing the bike to a local shop (in san jose).
thanks again!

·
Registered
59 Posts

DOOD check the connections to the starter and im willing to bet those faukin things are corroded if not the starter is shot from corrosion on the inside.

SOMETIMES U JIST GOTTA SAY F$CKIT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts