Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bike won\'t start

hi all,
i left my bike (93 ex500) sitting outside, in the cold and rain, without starting it for about 3 months now.
i know it's a mistake, but i'm a newbie.
now it won't start. what should i do now?
tia

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Re: bike won\'t start

Won't start like it cranks over but won't fire? Or won't start like you hit the button and all you hear is the birds chirping?

I'd guess that the second situation is what you're experiencing, and that you have a dead battery. But, if it is cranking over fine, make sure you have fuel, that the petcock is on (you may have to turn it to "prime" for a bit first), and hope that your carbs aren't too gummed up...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i think it begins to try to crank over, but after a second (literally)--nothing.
after hitting the start button so many times, now it just pops the rpm up to 4000 without any cranking/activity at all.
probably a dead battery?
a push start didn't seem to help much either.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts

If the bike hasn't been run or properly winterized in 3 months, it will definately be difficult to bump start.

But try harder anyway. It would also help to put the battery on a charger.

A good way to bump start a bike is to have a friend push you as you straddle the bike. After you dump the clutch in 3rd gear, have your friend keep pushing to keep the inertia going.

Otherwise, hook your bike up to your car battery and plug that starter in 5 - 10 second intervals.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

First of all, smack yourself for neglecting your bike! /images/icons/cool.gif

Now, check and see if you have fuel in the tank. Shake the bike side to side to ensure you have fuel in it as well as loosening any debris which may have settled in the tank. Place the selector on reserve and try cranking it over. If the battery dies, jump it off with someone's car or something. If it still doesn't start, give it a shot of starting fluid in the air filter intake under the seat.

Speaking of which, check and make sure your air filter is good and not clogged. If it is filthy then that might be your problem.

Once you get your bike started, apologize to it for your mistake and make up to it by giving it a good washing! /images/icons/cool.gif

Hope this helps!

RIDE FAST AND SAFE!

Daffy

·
Registered
26 Posts

you may want to drain the gas out of your carbs, then turn it to prime to get fresh gas in there. take off the air filters and squirt a shot of starter fluid in your carbs (or pull a plug and squirt some into the cylinder). also only charge your battery with a 2 amp charger, other wise your battery cell will get fried.

G

·

If I have troubles starting my bike after its been sitting quite awhile, I drain my reserve. Seems to work most of the time. It is really, really dusty where my bike is parked.

It's never hard when you are this cool.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

thanks for the advice everyone.
you guys are always very helpful.

i'll try the following:
1. better push start w/ a friend's help
2. jump start using my car's battery
3. there's already gas, but i could try draining it
4. replace the spark plugs
5. check the air filter
6. as for spraying starter fluid into the carbs--i'll see if i can do it (not very good with auto/bike mechanics)

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

Dragon,

Let us know if you get it started or not. /images/icons/cool.gif

<font color=red>Ride Fast and Safe!</font color=red>

Daffy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

ok, using my car for a jump start didn't work.
the bike started to crank, unlike before, but it still didn't turn over.
so, now i know i need a new battery, but something else is also wrong...
this may get ugly...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts

So you can hear the starter motor in action, but the bike didn't turn over a single bit?

Pull your spark plugs and try cranking the engine. Maybe fuel, water, or oil got into your cylinders and it's hydraulicly locked. Also, did it ever dip below freezing over the winter?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

the battery is now charged.
and, of course, the bike (still) starts to crank, but doesn't turn over.
next, i'll probably try draining the gas tank.
i'm having trouble trying to remove the gas tank so i can have access to the air filter/plugs/etc.
anyone know how to take the gas tank off?
thanks again!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts

i had the same problem..just got my bike started, here's what i did....took all the plastic off and started sanding it to repaint it...yeah i get off task pretty easily with my bike....thennnn. drained the tank and refilled it- that definitely was not the problem though...pulled the plugs, and checked them each for spark, when they were out, my father and i poured one capful of motor oil down the cylinderto create a better seal around the rings i believe, i threw a charger onto the battery before all of the plug pulling, and left it on, father sprayed carb cleaner into my airbox as i cranked it holding it wide open, it finally coughed and started, and it's started just fine for the last 3 days... when it was trying to start before the work it did sound like birds chirpin...rapid firing but not turning over at all...try some of that stuff it should work out for you no problem. I'm still gonna throw a new battery in there, just cause it's not worth the hassle of being stranded somewhere.... best of luck bud

willie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

thanks willie.
i finally got the bike to work with the same advice from tlwannab (forum: kawasaki, thread: biike won't start).
i sprayed started fluid into the carbs and it was like magic.
what a feeling!
now for a tune-up and valve adjustment.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

Hmmm... using the starter fluid gotted it going? I wonder if your plugs were gunked up? The flash explosion and short high temp burn may have burned the gunk off?

M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts