Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend wants to start riding again, she now has a Kawasaki Zephyr 550 but she doesn't like it that much. First option I came up with was a Monster 600 but she looked around and found the following bike (because it looks so much like mine/images/icons/laugh.gif):

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second pic:

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last one:

Do any of you have experience with this bike?
It's Cagiva's Mito and it's a 125cc 2-stroke.
(I post it here because it's an Italian bike off course/images/icons/wink.gif)

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duh!/images/icons/tongue.gif
Last pic:

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
I saw my first Mito (and only) Cagiva Mito at DRA in LasVegas last fall. What a cool little bike! I'd love to have one myself.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The only thing I have heard about them is they are high maintence. But if you don't mind working on the bike often, they its an awesome way to go!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not street legal in the US so you'd have to do some funny stuff with the DMV to get it registered. If she just wants to ride track though, you couldn't do better than that!

EDIT Oh, sorry, I just looked at your profile. Lucky man. Get the Mito for her, then you could ride it too!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Pimmie is one of the fo-runners /images/icons/smile.gif so it won't matter that it's a 2 stroke bike. Pimmie, if you don't get the Mito get her to look at one of the small Aprilias.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The Mito is very cool, as is the Aprilia RS125. Don't knock the li'l Kawi too much though, I had one tuned up nicely and it was an excellent handler and would hang with much larger bikes up to 100mph.

-nominal_squid-

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw that the bike isn't street legal in the US, how come? Emission?

John, she likes the Aprilias, 125 AND 250(!) but she likes the Mito because it looks so much like my 748, remember, she's the one who said how I had to built my 748 i.e Termi's and R-seat...

I think I'll just wait and see what she decides, she'll do a lot of test rides in the coming weeks I guess, I hope she chooses the Mito/images/icons/wink.gif

Nominal, I know. My second bike was also a Zephyr 550, with low mounted handle bar and aftermarkt exhaust and it was indeed very fast and a great handler. My girlfriend is only 1.56m and the bike is actually a bit heavy for her, she likes it but she feels a bit overwhelmed by it when standing still (I hope I'm explaining this right/images/icons/laugh.gif).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The Mito isn't streetlegal in the US, because it's a 2-stroke and larger than 100cc. Some arcane environmental restriction or other... You can get them here, from a Cagiva dealer, but you have to play tricks to get them licensed and insured.

-nominal_squid-

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

My girlfriend is only 1.56m

<hr></blockquote>

That be one of them metric units I reckon, ain't that right? /images/icons/laugh.gif

If you get the Mito will she get much saddle time? What kind of lap times are we talking for a Mito at Nurburgring? LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Now I know that this may be apples to oranges, but on our RS 125 we have to replace the piston every 3 races/practices. Two smokes are a lot of fun, but unfortunately a lot of maintenance too. You may want to factor that into your equation.
If maintenance isn't an issue, I say go for it! The Mito is the coolest 125 street bike out there. /images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
I didn't know Cagiva made such a beautiful bike! Like others have mentioned, since it's a two-stroke it's very difficult to obtain VIN registration in the U.S. (2-Strokes mix oil and fuel in the tank producing high levels of HFCs into the air; the EPA put a ban on them). There are a couple of exotic motorcycle shops in the U.S. that will procure the bike and assist in processing a U.S. VIN registration so that you can have the vehicle licensed. Expect to pay full price for the bike, plus shipping and setup, and $2,000 to $4,000 in palm grease to make it all happen... How much is retail on the Cagiva?

"Viva Ducatisti" /images/icons/cool.gif

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ducky748, the Cagiva Mito costs US$ 4806 over here...

John, I'm a fo-runner remember?/images/icons/wink.gif
I didn't think of the Derbi, I'll look up its specs and show it to my girlfriend. She says she'll be riding more in the future, primarily because she quit field-hockey. She'll have more time then. I'm not sure if she'll dare go on the Nurburgring but if SHE doesn't I'LL let you know what the Mito can do!/images/icons/laugh.gif

996, The Mito won't be 'abused' like a racer, most of the time it will be used on tours through the country and ocasionally commuting so I don't think I'll have to change pistons that often...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts