Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if using a bike battery charger on my car battery would cause any ill effects? It's freaking cold here (-7F) and the car was a little hard to start.

I have a Yauasa HotShot bike charger.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
As long as it is for a 12v battery it wont matter. I think all new bikes use a 12v system now. If its 11.5v or something very close like that it should still work with no ill effects. One reason why they use 12v, or very close, now is so you can get your biked jumped from a car.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
You can charge a 12 volt car battery with a 12 volt bike battery charger, but it's gonna take a while due to the low amp output of the charger. Just don't try to start it with the charger connected.

[ QUOTE ]
One reason why they use 12v, or very close, now is so you can get your biked jumped from a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think up this stuff yourself, or get it from anonymous e-mails?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:

[ QUOTE ]
One reason why they use 12v, or very close, now is so you can get your biked jumped from a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think up this stuff yourself, or get it from anonymous e-mails?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! Nice TJ.
Makes me want to go check out his previous posts for other good ones. :lol:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Wasnt it you that sent me the email on that?

O', and you can trickle charge the battery at a 2 amp rate and take all night, or use a 6 amp rate and charge it in an hour (trickle charge is a better charge though). :bird: :tongue:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
well, i really doubt that either of us would ever imply that the "reason" for a bike to be at 12v was so that they can be jump-started by cars. It's handy as hell to be 12v though, I'll give ya that! :smile:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I said "one reason", not "the reason". Big difference. There are many voltages that a bike could use. But using a 12v current makes things more universal. I should be getting paid for this. :rolling:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts