Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so after all this time, I've finally experienced my first real tankslapper. I always figured it was an exagerated phenomenon that guys made up after a little bit of headshake. Deciding to gas it good down the main road in my complex (no traffic of course), I hit 3rd gear full out at the same time I hit the bumpy part of the road. As the front came back down and touched, the bars just started wacking back and forth to each side violently. After soiling my pants, I just eased up on my grip and it stopped doing it. Coincidence would have it, that I just read the "how to" section about tankslappers in Sport Rider a couple of days ago. Needless to say, the next money I spend on the bike will be for a decent steering damper. Don't want to experience that again if I don't have to. Anyone have suggestion for one for the Falco? I've heard good things about the Matris, but don't know if there are others. /images/icons/crazy.gif

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
You can't go wrong with the big names like Ohlins and Hyperpro. I had a Hyperpro on my TLS and I loved it. During normal turning you couldn't feel the damper, but if you violently tried to wrench the bars side to side the damper would stiffen up and, well...dampen the movement. Hyperpro called it active damping control or something, I just call it cool. Neither of the dampers I mentioned are cheap though, especially when you consider that slowing down while riding through your complex is free /images/icons/laugh.gif

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Matris Pro on my race GSXR600 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. ExtremeTech from 888fastlap is the same under a different name.

Scott's are good also, along with Ohlins. The Matris won for me due to its external resevoir to compensate for heat, beautiful craftmanship (obvious quality),stock location mounting on the GSXR.

BTW, I had the same experience with a violent headslapper back in '91, and won't even look at a bike without one or at least plans to add one immediately!

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
MF~ As you already know,, I have a HyperPro (http://www.hyperprousa.com) and would suggest it in a heartbeat. From their website it looks like they only produce it for the RSV and RS models. I would still call them since it's a great piece of equipment.

·
Premium Member
9,377 Posts
I had a hyperpro on my Honda and I loved it - although the Matris does look nicer, as far a craftsmanship.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts