Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can tell me which are the "Best gripping tires in the cold weather"...

I ride a 2003 R6 with the stock dunlop tires & need something with a noticable difference

& i ride through the winter... even if its in the 20's :help:

Please reply

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I'm going to say the Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa's in the SC1 compound. The SC1 compound is for cool weather riding. I have Pirelli SC1 compound tires and they are sticking very well in the cold weather. I dont know what exact temp are in the "cool weather" catagory by Pirelli. But its the softest compound they make.

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
I never really had problems w/ the Pilot Sports; but they'll never come close to getting up to temp. I was dragging knee w/ a Diablo rear and a Pilot front around the freezing mark earlier this year.

I did however find that the BT010s gave near-good grip in the cold (that was a positive comment).

It'll be rare to find a motorcycle tire that will react well to sub-freezing temps. I've done it quite a few times; it just never feels confidence inspiring. The tire compound is simply not designed to give you grip in the cold.

I've run summer tires on my car in sub-freezing temps and they were greasy - same idea on the bike. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
polit powers are softer than pilot sports , you may want to try them out . I usually just race soft race tires , but the winters in nevada and cali arnt really that bad .

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I put some Pilot Roads on my motard for the winter - sort of the opposite of the advice given so far. They have more tread grooves to disperse water and give better traction in the sand gravel and snow than summer tires. And the compound will not have the same ultimate levels of grip as super soft compounds, but it is designed to work better without having to get hot.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I've also had good luck with BT010's and I have friends who report good results with BT020's, as well. Most of the super-soft DOT track tires are designed to operate at much higher temperatures than you're likely to encounter even in warm-weather street riding, so they're definitely not advised for freezing temps. Also, you'll want to run slightly higher pressures, since you won't get as much pressure rise from the tires heating up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts