Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I pick up a yz450 and just get a second set of 17" wheels and a street legal kit or should I go with the KTM.

I want another dirt bnike but I would love to tool around on the back roads on a TARD. That way I can make the R1 a full out track bike. and this will also keep me frpm being arressted :808919-icon_police:

:808922-fiddy: :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If anything.... a street legal 'tard is gonna get you in more trouble with the law. :809028-ridin:

Which KTM are you looking at getting? The prob with the YZF is its only a 4 speed. Maybe get a WRF? You'll get the bigger tank and better ratio'd gearbox, too. It might be easier to convert to a street legal bike since it already has a lighting coil, etc. You could also do a MXC or EXC KTM model and do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Yeah - riding a 'tard on the streets will be an excercise in self control - wheelies and stoppies are way too easy :crazy: But on the plus side the cruising speeds on backroads are not in 'go to jail' territory.

It's a tradeoff with bikes - the woods bikes are easier for the lights and 6 speeds and sometimes the magic button, but they wimp out on engine and suspension.

I went with the SMC because I got it used for a good deal and it has both dirt and street setups from the factory. I'm dealing with the lighting issue, and I'll just put up with 4 speeds and kickstarting.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The EXC would be an excellent starter for a street motard. Decent lighting coil, wide ratio transmission, and a title that doesn't usually say "off-road only". If you must go Yamaha the WR450F is still a pretty good choice. But the KTM can go up to 525 :waytogo: Then again, if you really want a streetable motard you might want to look at the LC4 motored KTMs. The 620, 625, etc. They're not quite as high strung as the RFS(400/450/525).

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is sweet. Maybe that is the way to go. I can get a WR for cheap too. We shall see what happens in the next couple months. My birthday is coming up :808922-fiddy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts