Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a question for you all... How old are you when you bought your Mille? I've have a few people give me a strange look when I tell them I own my Mille and they hear that I'm 22... Ummmm is this somewhat strange?!?!?! The parents always told me that if I wanted something I had to work for it... I did to get my bike... 2 jobs for 9 months for a nice downpayment... So with that said, is it strange that I own a nice bike?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't give it another thought, i am also only 24 and the Mille is my third sport bike. To all the older guys that give you crap for your age and call you a squid, remind them that their bike is a very obvous result of a mid life crisis. You on the other hand may just be a nice young man that is financially secure enough and discernable enough to purchase such an imaculate machine as the Mille. If you own one you obvously have good taste in bikes and hopefully you will ride resposibly to upend the typical sterotype of a "kid on a bike way over his head". Sorry i am just sick of being sterotyped like this, i didn't really mean to vent so much, sorry. Ride proud!!

Madmille

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ROFL yeah.... The Mille is my 2nd sportbike... I had/have a 2000 Suzuki 600 GSX... I use to ride like a bat out of hell... but over the winter when I couldn't ride and was focused on getting my Mille I started reading... and looking and learning... hehe Now... well I ride to better my lines, enjoy RIDING... and ALWAYS, Helm, Leather jacket, and gloves... working on getting legs, and a pair of SIDI boots... then WOOT TO THE TRACK!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I am 31, bought the Mille when I was 30 and got my first bike at age 23. My first bike was a CBR900RR so I also got the "Nice knowing you" and "you are going to kill yourself" comments. Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you can afford it and you enjoy it what else could possible matter?. Next time don't go around telling people your age, its no-one's business really.

Take care,
Gregory

I could have been a squid, but I was too busy posing.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm getting ready to turn 42. The clock speed up as time goes on. It does not matter what age you are to own any particular bike. The fact is if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen. Fine taste has nothing to do with age, not unless it's in a bottle./images/icons/smile.gif

Jay
Hello, Come in Earth, Over./images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
was 32 when i bought my Mille, turned 34 today /images/icons/smile.gif this is my 4th street bike. i grew up riding dirt bikes, but moved from Vermont where we could go for hours without seeing anyone to Connecticut where there is almost nowhere to ride dirt.

DreamRSV, I remember you posting last fall (think it was you) and I think it is great that you got your dream bike at an early age. believe me, soon it will be a mortgage and other crap and it makes it harder and harder to justify the money spent on toys...then again i don't try and justify it...../images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Although I don't own a mille, I do find that for the most part the aprilla and ducati riders are older on average. I think its because the cost of them being a little higher and there from Italy. Really I don't understand why they aren't more popular for being such a good looking bike IMO and having very quality components. On a side note I currently own 3 bikes, well 2 still paying for the new one, and I always get the question about how I can afford them and they always think its my parents paying for them but I have been saving up money since I was 14 to buy a bike and bought my first at 17 and then continued to work full time jobs over the summer and partime over school time to afford my bikes by myself with the only help from my parents coming from them buying me a helmet. I think most of them don't know how to save money and they find it odd that I can afford to have these expensive toys.

·
Registered
242 Posts
15-20 - Honda VT500 Ascot
20-24 - Suzuki GS700ES
30-32 - Kawasaki ZX11
33 - Suzuki Hayabusa
33 - Aprilia Mille
33 - One damn good year!

"Do you know what 'the world' is to me? Shall I show it to you in my mirror?" Nietzsche

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Happy Birthday Jimbo! Hope you have a great one. I turned 44 this year, and this Mille R is motorcycle #35 for me in my lifetime. Probably one of the best bikes I've ever owned. Pulls like a tractor, and handles like a dream. And it's different from all the other bikes you see out there. Everywhere you look, there's hondas, yamahas, etc, and even lots of Ducatis too, but not that many Aprilias. (yet). so I like having something a bit different. The fact that it goes like stink and looks so damn mean and businesslike in that flat black color only adds to the whole package.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I'm 36 and just got my first Ducati... you worked hard and are riding the fruit of your labor. Good for you...

There's a guy on the corvetteforum.com who's got a new Vette and he's only 19... he's worked his A$$ off to buy the car outright! He does get a lot of comments though like "Is that your dad's car?"...

Just get a custom tag for your bike that says "PAID4"

M.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was 46 yr.s when I bought my 2001 Mille R. I still go at a pretty good clip thru the mountain roads and I'm usually right at the front of the pack with the big dogs on the GSX-R 1000's. I've had a many great bikes, all in the spirit of the cafe racer theme. They were good days. Anyway, I'm in the prime of my life and everyday I get in my Spidi 1-pc leathers and throw a leg over Mille; I thank God for his blessing me with this wonderful work of motorcycle art and for living in the day and age of the prime of motorcycling. Here's to the spirit of feeling young forever. Ce la Vie!!

The Electric Banana Man (47 yr.s young and going on 32!!)
01 RSV Mille R #107 and very Yellow

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Hey Thanks Yellow!!! You've just shown me that there's still hope for (me)
this 29 year old going on 40/images/icons/wink.gif
Now all i need to do is convince my GF that i NEED one.

Welcome to Las Vegas.....Now go home!!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Steve, that's true, but I'd be even more depressed if I was divorced! LOL Any woman that allows the wedding date to be pushed back by one week so that I can attend the AMA SBK race at VIR is a keeper! Not many women would allow that to happen. So the girl stays, the bike goes! I'll live to ride another day!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 30 and the Mille R is my 4th bike and my first twin. I going to buy more bikes but the Mille is staying for a long, long, long while. I think I'm gonna get a nice inline like a Busa or 12R so I can have some variety.

Jason F
"Damn, do have any fries to go with that shake"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts