Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not rich so I was wondering what you guys do before buying a bike. Do you just go into the store and pick up a new bike or you look around for a good used machine for maybe half the price? I have purchased two new bikes and have to admit the joy of that spotless paint job, that new smell and that VIRGIN feel is quite a thrill, but after a while it wears off a you realize you could have gotten a deal on something used for a lot less cash. Does anyone here have the patience to buy a wrecked bike and fix it up? I find a lot of bike that were flipped, or have cosmetic with little miles are being sold for a fraction of their cost. My advice to those looking for a new ride with a limited budget, shop around for these bikes. Maybe you can share your thoughts and experiences. I have bought the following used bikes:

Year of Purchase Model Price Condition

2003 1998 CBR F3 2,500 28,000 miles recent paint job
2002 2001 R1 6,500 5,000 miles excellent condition
2003 2002 R6 4,500 (after fix-up) 3,500 miles
2005 2004 600RR 4,200 (after fix-up) 1,400 miles

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have bought new and used. I have had good and bad luck with used, so here is what I do. I buy from people I know or if I know someone who can back up the person selling a used, otherwise I will buy new. I bought the 929RR used from Nillor on here, great bike and had all the goodies already installed so I made out good. I guess what I am saying is if it doesn't have a lot of extras I would rather buy new cause you plan on putting the money into it anyways.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
My first bike I got for free for getting it off the property and fixed up. Bike #2 will probably also be used, but I don't think I'm going to try to fix it up. I want something that looks good without me having to drop an extra few hundred on plastics. Looks like you got some good deals. What was wrong with the 600R and R6?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Of the 10 bikes I've owned, 8 were used. I had pretty good success with all of them. None suffered catastrophic problems while under my care. Though one used bike I bought from a dealer had a hole in the engine case from a thrown chain - but the dealer owned up to it and attempted to repair it for me.

I will likely buy used again - so many good deals out there.

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
My next bike will more than likely be used. I don't care about depreciation; I just can't afford a brand new bike, that's all :smile:

·
Registered
0 Posts
My first bike was a used kz700 that I did a serious resto on, I mean rebuilt pretty much everything but the engine, and I really enjoyed working on it AND riding it.
My latest bike is a ZX9R that I have owned for 8 years! I bought it used as well, and in the 22,000 miles I've put on it, not 1 problem! It's got a lot to do with who you buy from. the guy I bought it from is known as "Mr break in", as he ALWAYS rides like he's breaking in the bike! ( NEVER beats on his bikes. ) You just have to be careful. :grin:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Until I bought my SV, I had always bought new. I got the SV at an auction and it was a salvaged bike due to an accident.
I looked it over close before I bid on it. It's been a good bike with the exception of the Epoxy letting go on the stator rotor. I don't know that anyone could have predicted that occuring though.

As said before, purchasing a bike from someone you know or someone who can vouch for them is a good idea.

I just see so many riders who seriously abuse their bikes. Who wants someone's problems?

Asking for proof of repairs/tune-ups might be a good idea.
If you are at a dealer and the plate is still on the bike, you can track down the previous owner and ask some questions about the bikes history. I've done this with cars in the past and have had good luck doing so.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My first two bikes were purchased used. I spent more time fixing them than riding. My last two bike were bought new. Yea they cost more but I had no problems.

I don’t enjoy working on bikes I enjoy riding them. I buy new.

BTW I've had friends buy used with no problems. It's just not for me anymore.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
My opinion on used bikes is this.
-Buying used you can probably get more for your money, and be pleased. But you do take a chance on buying used because of the "previous owners" factor. Which can sometimes not be an issue if you know the whole history of the bike.
-But buying new (if you can afford it) gives you the chance to break in the motor yourself, and also have the bike set(worn/broke in) to your liking from the stocker. Owning the bike from stock gives you the chance to know all of the quirks, and know that the quirks were not caused by a previous owner (which can help at times). Plus you just will know a bike better when you are the only one who has ridin' it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shade Tree,
I bought the R6 off Ebay for $2,800. It seemed that the bike was flipped, I had to replace the front lights, visor,fairing and the right side footpeg set. I did a complete spray job and cut new stickers for the entire bike. My friend has a bike body shop so I usually get the best work for a little less $$$$$. He also punch out a dent on the tank. Total Cost $4,500.
The 600RR ($3,500) was thrown over by the previous owner (a rich squid), he got a 1000RR instead. I bought new flushmount trafficators and repainted the entire bike. It came with some extras, Secondlook seat and 600RR handle grips. Total cost $4,200.
Overall you can never tell that these bike ever touched ground after their finish!!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If money is no object buy new. It is fun to have a new bike and you get to break it in the way you want. For me money is an object and I can ride for about half price (or have twice as many bikes) if I buy used. You won't be ridin' the hottest bike of the year but I have always had good luck buying bikes that only had a few thousand miles on them even if they had a couple of scratches (but no salvage titles). My next acquisition will probably be a '02 GSXR1000 at about $5,500, right at half-price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.