Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Ducati\'s worth the money????

At the present time i am 20yrs old. I have many goals im my life that i wish to aclomplish.

one of them is to obtain a Ducati superbike. I want to accomplish this by the time i am 25yrs old.

recently I have been wondering If it is worth the wait. I can get a honda Rc51, for 7,000 cheaper, but for some reason i still want the Ducati.

Is this bike trully worth the $17,000 price, or am i just buying a name. If i wait sooooo long to get this bike, and realize that it's almost the same as an RC51, I'm gonna be very dissapointed.

<font color=blue>2001 R6<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>The Blue one Is Faster<font color=blue>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: Are Ducati\'s worth the money????

I think I found my next bike....or bikes?

<font color=blue>SPEED</font color=blue><font color=red>MATTERS !</font color=red> /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
770 Posts

Yes, they are.../images/icons/smile.gif

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
256 Posts

hmmm?

<font color=blue>SPEED</font color=blue><font color=red>MATTERS !</font color=red> /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
770 Posts

Seriously though, I do believe they are. There is much more to cycling than just a spec sheet. It is a sport of passion or a lifestyle, if you will. The bike you own/ride should be one that stirs your soul. Heck, my 900SS is sort of an econo-Duc, but I get a feeling from it like no other bike has ever given me. Plus, after over two years of ownership, I still make a special trip out to garage to look at it. The 748/916/996/998 is, IMHO, one of the most timeless, sexiest motorcycle designs ever created. Worthy of a turntable with mood lighting in the middle of your living room. And the feel of this bike is like no other. If the Ducati stirs your soul like it does mine and many others, than I say, Go for it!! If you ride it and still think, "Man, that RC-51 (nice bike) is $7000 cheaper", than I'd definitely go for the Honda.

Also, for what it's worth, no other bike (with the exception of the MV Augusta) generates so much interest with motorcyclists and non-cyclists at any/every stop. Other bikes that are parked with you suddenly disappear. Same thing happens when you are riding in a group. Even little kids dig them. I've been passing a mini van many times in a group ride and have seen faces planted on the window glass. (Yes, I know, I should be looking ahead). They are all staring but when the Ducs pass, their eyes widen and they begin to bounce up and down (sort of what I did when I saw my first Duc in person). Yeah, I know all this may be superficial, but I gotta admit, I LOVE my belly-rubs... /images/icons/smile.gif

Good luck in your quest.

Regards,

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I know exactly what u mean, The fist time i saw a 996 in person, i was in my truck, and followed the guy for like 30min. I just couldn't stop looking at the bike.

I would pay to get a chance just to ride one just for 5 minuites.

I've only seen 2 ducati's in person, a yellow 748, and the 996 i followed. I don't know what it is about that bike, but I just can't wait to get my hands on one.
I know that the Rc51 is no ducati, but 17,000 is just alot of money. but I guess that's why people buy ferrari's.

I will have a 996/998/99??? one day./images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>2001 R6<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>The Blue one Is Faster<font color=blue>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
770 Posts

I say the same thing, my friend... One day. /images/icons/smile.gif

JoBu

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

Hell, you still have 5 years to meet your goal. By that time, we may have some Desmosedici's thumpin' around the streets. Uh oh, Shamar may flame me for that one... /images/icons/smile.gif

And of course they're worth every penny. Don't think of it in terms of what you get in the Japanese alternative. Just think of all the people who spend $30K on a Honda Accord, and that you're only spending half that for an exotic Italian masterpiece. There's a certain amount of pride in the fact that unlike the Japanese competition, the Italian companies have no interest in making minivans, jet-skis, or pianos. LOL

·
Registered
640 Posts

Yes, they are. And this is coming from someone who has bled Honda red for years and still ride one. I had the chance to ride a 996 (and didn't even have to pay!). To be perfectly fair, this experience is why I said that if the RC51 (when I get a chance to ride one) is fairly close, for that price, I'm buying one in a heartbeat. Although I must say, I wanna throw a leg over a 748 before I totally commit. Most people in this forum I feel have been very honest, and tell me that if its a twin I'm after, Ducati is the top but the RC is also a very solid motorcycle, and well worth the price. Good luck, and get the one you want + can afford. It's a crappy position to be in, I know. But i's a lot better than being in a situation where you are wondering where you're next meal will come from, so I don't take it too hard.

If I put what I wanted in this signature, I would piss too many people off.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Ducati's are great bikes but don't buy new! One continuing problem with these bikes is loss in value! I have seen dealers be very upset with the fact that Ducati has overloaded the market with the Superbike and really hurt the value. I guess now some 10 years old the value and rareness of this model was going to have this happen but to buy a bike for $17,000 and put 4000 miles and turn around and sell it for $12,000 in a year is not my idea of a great investment and that just wasn't so five years ago. Growing your business and increasing revunue for that all mighty dollar tends to do this. Owners of Ducati's are still rare and the following will only continue to grow if and when they bring out the next generation or post Tamburini Superbike!

·
Registered
104 Posts

I own a Aprilia RSV Mille. Yes the OTHER italian bike... I have to say that after working 2 jobs for over 9 months for the down payment on this bike it was WORTH IT... I love the Ducs, yes I think they are worth it, I KNOW my family thinks I wasted my money but there is nothing and I mean NOTHING then riding the bike YOU'VE wanted and dreamed about.

Aprilia RSV Mille R $17,000
Ducati 998 $17,00
Owning your dream bike... thats right PRICELESS! Baby...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

I'm one who thinks its better to buy new. Of course I got a great deal on my 996. I paid around $14,000 total for the bike plus carbon cans and air filter, license, fees, etc.... It was a demo bike, but it had 9 miles on it and it was flawless. It was also a 2000 model year and I got it in September of 2001 so it was a hold-over model, but still new. For me, its worth the small premium to have peace of mind.

The dealer here has a new '99 or '00 Mille-R for sale (cheap) and three MV's (one silver and two red/silver), plus an 888 and various 748/916 used bikes. There are some great deals to be had if you can wait and you're prepared to walk. I'm willing to bet they are very motivated to move the MV's because they've had them for so long. They even have a Bostrom rep and an MH900e on the floor for sale.

I think any bike is worth the money. Its hard to quantify the passion one has for their bike. I too dreamed of the Ducati Superbike since I first saw it late '93. I even had a picture of the original 916 on my fridge, right next to a '95 900ss/sp. Now I have the bike of my dreams, but just like marriage, it isn't perfect (for me anyway). They have their drawbacks, but its well worth it for me. You'll know if its worth it to you.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

desmo,
I don't mean to come off like an azz, but a bike is not an investment. It doesn't matter if it's a [email protected] or Ducati. Granted some of the older bikes (851, 888) are getting thier value back, but that's because of thier rarety. I don't have $18K tied into my Monster because it's an investment. I'll never see that for my bike in a million years. It's just simply a form of entertainment. In reality when (and if) you go to sell your bike you'd like to get some money back out of it, but the truth is you won't be able to get what you'd like. That's just because the Ducati marque is becomming more common place. I don't think it's neccesarily Ducati's fault either. They're in the business to make money. Me selling my bike doesn't make them a dime, but them selling a new bike does. With the demand for the Ducati name being at an all time high, they would be fools not to take advantage of it.

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
50 Posts

MonsterJ,

Your not coming off like an azz. Thats just to bad you don't think that $17,000 is an investment! J/K

But seriously as I stated in my earlier post, the model is getting older now, hence more of the model is out there to the general public and that is driving the market down in resale value. I must take back my comment on not buying new. Now if ever is the time to do this, but buy smart, buy a new 2001 996, great deals are there to be had. Financing isn't to bad either!

I hope ducati continues to sell great bikes and makes some money along the way, I wanna see the new Superbike design and soon!

·
Registered
823 Posts

Yes.........Worth every penny/images/icons/cool.gif

I should know..........I have $35,000 tied up in my Ducs/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
7,835 Posts

IMO - ONLY worth it if you can afford one.
For me - It would not be worth it at all!!
BUT - MY OH MY!!! If I could afford a new 998 without straining the family budget?!?! It would be parked in my den NOW !!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Thats like saying is a ferrari/porsche/lotus or any other sports car worth it. Just persnal taste. I think they are.

First rule of driving, what is behind me is not important!!

·
Registered
770 Posts

Well, when I bought my Duc, I waited for the leftover clearance to get mine. That alone saves people a big chunk over the cost of a new model year Duc. (Actually, while looking at close-outs, I found a used one in perfect condition with 1100 miles on it. Only paid $8500 otd for it. Not to bad for a barely used Duc with about $1300 worth of upgrades on it). But, as far as investements go, I have to argue that a Duc is a better one than its Japanese counterpart. Yes, Ducs do depreciate, but only to a point. Sort of like a Corvette. They tend to slide downhill for about 10 years or so, then they become a "classic". Older Ducs (in good shape) command some pretty good prices. Most Japanese bikes (once they become a certain age) are looked at as "throw-away" bikes. I'm not slamming Japanese bikes, believe me. I think they are wonderful. But unless they are a special or rare model, they don't seem to hold much resale value whatsoever. Just my $.02. /images/icons/smile.gif

That being said, I don't look at motorcycles as an investment. Unless it is an investment in my sanity. There aren't many things I can think of that bring me this much enjoyment in life. That alone is worth the price of admission (on any bike...Italian, Japanese, British, German, etc, etc, etc)...

Regards,

JoBu

·
Registered
47 Posts

only you can really answer the question, rc51 or 996/998, but here is my two cents worth.

look beyond the spec sheet. the 998 and the rc51 have roughly similarly horsepower, but the 998 has better brakes, better suspension, better chassis, and will go faster round a racetrack right out of the box than the rc51. i was at a track day last year, and met a guy with an rc51. he was admiring my duc and said he bought the rc51 to save $5k. he put about 5K into the bike to get it track worthy, and said that after riding his friends stock 996, it still didn't handle as well or inspire as much confidence. he wished he had just bought the duc.

to some (me included) the ducati is a work of art. i get a kick out of just seeing it in my garage. throwing a leg over it makes my heart race. no other bike has done this to me. i will gladly pay a premium for this feeling: life is to be enjoyed!

like i said, only you can decide. they are both great bikes. good luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts

I too had the same dream. I couldn't afford a new 996 so after 3 yrs of lusting and riding an '82 KZ1000 I got a 2000 model with only 3K miles on it and nice upgrades. The advantage of getting a slightly used bike is that the bike AND the aftermarket parts together are still cheaper than a brand new stock model. In 2001 I decided to get the 2000 model because the 2001 model was identical except for the rear shock. There are tons of ducs out there with only a few thousand miles and lots of upgrades. Just make sure that any used bike you look at has complete service records. I didn't buy my 996 and think of it in terms of an investment. I don't ever plan on selling it. I don't care what ducati comes out with next, the 748/9*6 will always be a classic! Oh and I have never regretted buying the duc!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts