Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Daytona\'s problems cured??

This is one of the answers to the question of the new track configuration. :lol2:
Just tellin it like it is..................... :applause:

“Oh my gosh!” said Attack Kawasaki’s Ben Attard after riding his Formula Xtreme ZX-6RR around Daytona for the very first time. “It is the most scary thing I’ve ever done. I’d rather go meet a girl’s parents for the first time than do this.”

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=11322

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Re: Are Daytona\'s problems cured??

Mladin has already commented about the final turn onto the back straight--which a number of riders were concerned about when just looking at the new configuration on paper--and how it points the rider right at the outside wall. You'd think that given all the previous attention paid to "safely" directing the riders up onto the banking--the "traffic control" barrels at the exit to the old turn 6 leading out to the NASCAR turn 1 banking and the change made to the bus-stop chicane on the back straight to exit further back on the straight instead of right at NASCAR turn 3--they would have radiused this new turn better/more safely. I always likened the entry of the bus-stop chicane to turning into someone's driveway at 50+ mph--i.e. ridiculously bumpy--and apparently this new turn out of the infield has been "blessed" with the same geography.

On the up side, while I agree with DiSalvo that the turn 4 "kink" (dogleg in my lexicon) and west horseshoe were classic Daytona turns, I never cared for the kink/dogleg from a safety standpoint. Granted, I may be a little biased given my personal 120+ mph, near-highside moment through there :crazy:, but you carry big speed through the turn (it was the fastest actual "turn"--i.e. not counting the banking--on the track), and there was absolutely nothing to stop a bike that ran off the track at turn 4 from shooting straight across the track at the west horseshoe.

Lastly, I have to admit to a degree of smug satisfaction on hearing Hodgson's initial remarks (which are captured more extensively at soup ). Personally, I like Neil, and I liked his show of confidence when he predicted coming to the US and winning the Championship right out of the box, but: "Welcome to America(n tracks), Mr. Hodgson. I'm afraid you're not racing on those beautifully groomed F1 tracks anymore--better break out a roll of duct tape and some chest pad foam." :smirk:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Re: Are Daytona\'s problems cured??

Ouch, I'm really not looking forward to this.

I did like Yates' quote tho.
"This is really nice," Suzuki rider Aaron Yates said of the renovations. "I think the garage setup is a whole lot better. You're a lot closer to pit road and it seems like a good layout." He added, "And the new trackside wrestlin' ring is awesome!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts