Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Tacoma, and I wanna take my gixxer (it's a registered streetbike - I have insurance and a motorcycle endorsement) to the track and make a few passes... but neither track's website is very specific about tech inspection or riding gear... There was something about a lanyard on the kill switch, and I think I'll be OK with my Arai helmet, leather jacket, boots, and gloves, but I wanna be sure before I go waste a trip and get told I can't run... help?

·
Registered
79 Posts
NHRA rules for bikes 9.99 et and over.. for speeds,and e.t 11.0 and 119 mph and slower.. Leather Jacket,Leather gloves,above the ankle boots,and some but not all tracks require a lanyard to kill if you come off. For e.t's and speeds quicker,you need full protective gear,i.e full suit,or 2 piece,but pants are required. Most places want to see a Snell aproved helmet at least 95 or better. They are good for 10 years,so a Snell 95 is good til 2005.. Hope this helps ! Happy racing

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm *hoping* to get close to 9.99 ...but that might be overly optimistic... I'm *certain* I'll stomp all over 119mph... The bike is making 131HP on the dyno. I have some textile pants with knee and hip pads that zip into my (leather) jacket... does it have to be leather on the pants? And what's the easiest/best way to rig a kill switch without hacking up my OEM stuff? Should I just go buy a second kill switch that I can attach a lanyard to so I can put the original one back on when I'm done getting my ya-ya's out?

·
Registered
79 Posts
im not sure if those pants will work,a lot of tracks have different rules.. you might want to call the track and ask the tech official. As far as the kill switch,mine is mounted very tastefully,but there all the time. I spliced in inline from the kill switch,so when it is pluged in,you have the switch in the " off " possition. Another very eay way is to put a small screw in the shut off arm swich, and just screw the lanyard to it.. It serves the same function,if you fall off, it will bull up on the switch, and kill the bike. Make sure if you get a switch to install,its a noramlly open swich.. Dirtbikes are reverse of this, and will die when its plugged in.. Good luck at the track ! 131 hp should net you around 134 mph or so.. and as far as e.t. i would say depending on the launch,around a 10.5 or so.. It takes a lot to start dropping in the low 10's to high 9's.. Good luck, and be safe !

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
....about that kill switch. Some guys will use something like a shoe string and the tab off a pop can. You jam the tab right next to, or under the on/off switch. It *will* fit. Sometimes it helps to turn the switch to the off position, then place the tab in the side, then push the switch to 'on', while pushing on your tab too.

**This is only a temporary solution for a permanent kill switch.

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to SIR a few times last year -- they only required a helmet, boots and gloves. There wasn't really a tech. inspection to speak of.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Catsis...I went to the dragstrip for the first time last year...and on my 94 ZX9R that I know is NO WHERE NEAR 13Xhp...I was gettin around the 120mph mark at around 11.8...and that was without even 'launching'...just leaving on the green like a really aggressive leave at a stoplight on the street...you should have no problems breakin 120...and don't forget to post your experience for us /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
106 Posts
I go several times a year to SIR (now Pacific Raceways). They will stop you if your going under 11.0 without full leathers, boots, gloves etc. If you have all the above gear, they will let you run three times under 11.0 then they kick you out. You have to have a NHRA license to run under 11.0 and over 130 mph. I got kicked out last year, it's no big deal, they are nice about it and tell you to come back next week and do it again. See you there!

WMRRA #961
98' CBR900RR

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
AZSportbiker, I sar SIR and thought he may be talking about the Tucson strip. I need to come down to Phoenix and run, I hear the times are almost always better there. I will let you know when I plan to come down there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts