Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... these?

Gripster Sport from Techspec-USA. I saw these advertised in an old Sport Rider and they look interesting. The idea is they give you more grip on the sides of the tank with your legs. Sounds like a good idea to me, just wondered if anyone had tried them? My main concern is how well they stick to the tank. They advertize them as removeable which makes me wonder how long until they remove themselves?

Thoughts?? :help:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
First I've heard of them, no idea of their value, but my first thought was that more grip on the sides of the tank may not be something I'd be interested in--it may inhibit movements on the bike--and the tanks of most modern sportbikes are designed/shaped to allow the rider to "hold on" with his legs/knees without a (potentially undesireable) velcro-like effect. I know I've had to wax up my leathers on occassion so they'll slide across the seat/tank/bodywork better--so I don't think the "Gripsters" are something I'd be interested in. Their availability in numerous different patterned designs--rather than just a "fine, medium, or coarse" type of thing--and their absence from any race bike I've ever seen, makes me think they're more for looks than function. But I could certainly be wrong.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to have a bit more grip on the tank, at least I think I would. I currently have no problems with moving around, my leathers slide across real well, maybe a little too well. My thought was that this might give me a bit more confidence holding on my with my legs and consequently remove some weight from my hands, which is really my goal.

I've noticed that the tanks on some of the newer bikes have much more contour for your outside leg to hook into than mine. Or perhaps I just need to do a few more sit-ups.... :bawling:

Thanks for the info :waytogo:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts