Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started dealing with the kind, compassionate people over at work comp. :flame:

I think I'm getting royally screwed but, I've never worked with them before and that may be "just how it works".

I will be IOD (injury on duty) for 6 weeks but, I am able to come back and do what's called "light duty". Basically, I get to be the billing biotch for 6 weeks.

My supervisor told me that if I take the first 3 days off as sick time after the initial injury, work comp would reimburse my 3 days lost. So, I took the 3 days off.

Turns out this was wrong. You have to take 10 days off and then they reimburse you for 3 days. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif WTF

I've been collecting my sick time (now at 520 hours) because when I hit the 720 hour mark, it rolls over into my vacation time. So, basically I would be collecting vacation time at double the rate. Now I've just burned 32 hours of my sick time for this. It's taken 8+ years to get to the 520 hours. :flame:

MLK day we get paid time-and 1/2. Plus, we get 8 hours of holiday time (like vacation time). Because I am on light duty, I can't work on that day. They don't allow you to work light duty and make time and a half. That means that I have to take the day as either a sick day (12 hours) or as vacation day.
I also don't get the 8 hours of holiday time. :flame:

I can't work at my other job due to this injury either so there goes another chunk of my income.

I feel like I'm being screwed big time and the incident wasn't even my fault. I could sue the driver of the other vehicle but, he had no license, no insurance and kids. I would hate to think that I would be taking food/clothing or whatever from his kids. :bawling:

Anyone else dealt with work comp? Can you give me some advice? I know the rules are different depending on where you live.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You said it was a car accident ? Was it a company car ?? If so you are getting screwed. If it was your own car you are Fu%%ed. you should be able to make claim under uninsured motorist coverage for lost wages & injuries under your own insurance

·
eMotoMech
10,641 Posts
Zoey is a Paramedic, some jack off ran into him when he was on his way to a call with the lights and sirens blasting :crazy: Get well soon Zo-meister :smile:

From what I understand(never collected workmans comp), it's like unemployment...like taking their sweet arse time and re-imbursing you. Plus they are a state program, and like most state programs, they employ idiots :laugh:

Our tax dollars at work :kaboom:

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Workers Comp Sucks.......Plain and simple there is no going around it Zoey, I hate to sound like I am the litigious sort; I am not. But your best recourse in this situation is to seek out legal counsel just to make sure your not getting *screwed* The Insurance company doesn't give a rats backside about the guy who did this, his family and what his circumstances are they still will sue him for damages. It's doubtful given his financial status they will get anything more than a judgement but needless to say Insurance Companies aren't in business to *lose* money. I was involved in an accident 2 years ago with a guy who hit my truck with no license, no insurance, no tags, and it wasn't his vehicle but my Insurance Company sued the owner of the Vehicle and some 6 months later I got my deductable back in the mail.

Just my :2cents:

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
But your best recourse in this situation is to seek out legal counsel just to make sure your not getting *screwed*

[/ QUOTE ] :rolling:Yea, I just hate to have to go that route.
[ QUOTE ]
Sick pay is for when you're sick. Not everyone has it. You should be happy you have it to fall back on.

[/ QUOTE ]Trust me. I'm glad I do have it as I couldn't immagine doing this job without it. When you are dealing with sick people all day you are bound to catch something sooner or later.
Unfortunately, our medics spend a lot of time getting hurt on the job. I just found out that one of my partners at work (we all have 2) may be perminently out of work due to a back injury. He hurt his back while we were working together (lifting an overweight person).
Only one paramedic in our organization has made it to retirement without a perminent disability. Everyone else has either hurt themself or gone on to some other vocation.

We also have another benefit in which I may not get due to this injury. If you don't take any sick time during the year, you get what's called "GDO's the following year. These are guaranteed days off. Getting time off here is difficult at best. The GDO allows you to put in for a day off and if no one has asked for it off (even if they are at staffing minimums) you get to take it as a vacation day.

I have to check and see if I lose my GDO's for next year.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Zoey,

Get an ambulance chasing lawyer. No pun intended. I’ve had to deal with WC and had absolutely no problems. Maybe I’m lucky, but I called the insurance company and kept them in the loop even before the Doctors office could give their report. I wanted everything on the table. I wanted the insurance company knowing what the Dr was doing. I wanted the Dr to know what the insurance company was trying to do. I didn’t want anybody doing shady deals. I wanted the best care for me. I feel I got it. I don’t enjoy getting injured on the job but my experience with WC was satisfactory.

Keep in mind a portion of your paycheck is used to pay for WC insurance. It’s your money. I get the sense you’re getting hosed. Get a WC attorney.

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the interesting part:

I'm being treated by doctors in the hospital that I work for.

The hospital is run by the county.

The county is self-insured.

The county has it's own work comp claims people.

The doc's work for the county.

:flame:I think I'm beginning to see a big circle jerk here. :flame:

·
eGunny
13,417 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I think I'm beginning to see a big circle jerk here.

[/ QUOTE ] Thats with you as a pivot man...... :wink:

With me being retired from the Marines and having full medical, dental and the retirement check in place. Just imagine how hard it would be for me to draw workmans comp.

Slorch ~ When I get back, I am going to arrange for you to draw workmans comp for an extended period of time...... :waytogo: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.