Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am going to collect hotwheels ..
I dont know where this came from but I was at the flee market yesterday and I saw this hotwheels " blings" .. I bought all the ones they had
So I was wondering if anyone collects hotwheels and what should I look for , and is it worth buying cars that are already open ?

I love these new blings I bougth 10 of them
=o) ...
http://store1.yimg.com/I/brian-anna_1827_79128045
http://store1.yimg.com/I/brian-anna_1827_11038056

( I am not planning on getting really , serious about collecting just want a cool collection )

·
eGunny
13,417 Posts
Old ~ I don't do Hot Wheels. But I do sportscards. I have 2 safe deposit boxes full of very, and I mean very valuable cards. Collecting can be fun, but at times it can be very, very addicting...... :grin:

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Man...I used to have the SWEET collection of Matchbox cars but when I grew out of them they all went to Goodwill. Some kid probably landed his college beer money just because I moved on...then years later I realized how nice it would have been to give them to MY kids.

Ah well. Matchbox rules, Hot Wheels are crap! :bird:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Can't say I really collected much. I had a thing for comic books as a kid. I still have a bunch in a truck somewhere. Come to think of it, I have a good number of baseball cards there too. Might be some money later.

The only thing I'm serious about collecting are katanas. And, I only have two. But I'm trying.I plan to get one soon that is by a modern Japanesse smith but never to be used(unless hell freezes over and we have civil war...or I can't grab a gun fast enough and some crook is in the house....actaully, that would be allot of fun! yeah...oh wait :808918-ot:)

I plan to piss away allot of money when I buy that one. I already have a practice sword. Its the real deal but fairly cheap so it can be used for real practice cuts(bamboo)

Later, after I have a new one and the practice one I plan to start collecting very old ones for display. I found a few sites and for allot less than you would think, you can own a 14th or 15th century piece of histoy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used to collect up until last year sometime. I kind of lost interest in them though. At the moment I am making an inventory list of everything I have so I can sell to a friend of mine. I’m going to use the cash towards a sportbike so basically I’m just trading one hobby for another.

Like anything that’s worth collecting there are variations that are worth more then others. The best thing to do is just keep shopping for stuff and educate yourself in the whats what part of collecting. I know that last statement sounds like a generic answer but its going to take some time to know what you are looking at and know how much its worth. Try to stick with just a few pieces to start off with. For me I collected mostly VWs, motorcycles and go-carts. But for every VW I have there are variations and different paint schemes. So needless to say I have quite a few. The reason I say try to stick to just a few pieces is if you don’t do that your collection will grow very quickly and you will have a lot of “junk” on your hands. I have had friends try to collect 1 of everything and their collection is absolutely huge but there are only a few good cars. I would rather have a smaller collection of great cars.

As far as how to figure out how much something is worth, I haven’t found any one place that was 100% accurate. There used to be a price guide made by Tomart every few years that had all the variations listed and great color pictures of each piece but they were way off on some of the pricing. Ebay is also a good place to start pricing because you can figure out how much people are paying for certain things.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used to collect them when I was little. Probably have somewhere between 200-300 ranging from late 70's to early 90's. However, a lot of them got thrown to the car gods because of various reasons. My brother and I used to line a few up in the road and see who's got run over first. I don't recommend running over them, they have a nasty kick back.

And uh, wow, talk about bling bling :crazy:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I don't collect Hot Wheels but I have been known to forage around for animal poop. Not sure what kind of a car they would make but some of them are long enough to put wheels on.

Mob

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
About 2 years ago or so I started collecting die-cast motorcycles, does that count? I don't get the real expensive ones, just the ones you can find locally. I will try and take a pic of the collection. Small right now, but hope it grows.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Micah said:
I used to collect girls panies that I stole from them while fooling around. Interesting hobby to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there any poop in them?

Mob

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
MobRule said:
[ QUOTE ]
Micah said:
I used to collect girls panies that I stole from them while fooling around. Interesting hobby to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there any poop in them?

Mob

[/ QUOTE ]

:808908-wtf:aah..no, but that would be a kinda bad sign...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
OldBikezx-10 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Micah said:
I used to collect girls panties that I stole from them while fooling around. Interesting hobby to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha I used to do that also I still have a box of stuff left at my house by girls trying to claim thier territory .

[/ QUOTE ]

:lol2: you sure can learn allot about a girl by a simple pair of panties!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
zx7r_gtr said:
About 2 years ago or so I started collecting die-cast motorcycles, does that count? I don't get the real expensive ones, just the ones you can find locally. I will try and take a pic of the collection. Small right now, but hope it grows.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto :808922-fiddy:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I used to have hundreds of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars. But since I was just a dumb kid, I would'nt really consider it collecting. They were just toys.

I do collect die-cast cars and bikes, though. I probably have close to 100 at this point. They range from just cheapies you find in Wal-Mart, to some fairly expensive peices, and a few models that I've built myself. I don't know if any are, or ever will be worth more than I paid for them, but thats not why I have them anyway.

Every time I go to a ChampCar, Nascar, Superbike, or other major event, I scour around the vendor areas for something interesting that I don't have. It doesn't have to be expensive, rare, or collectable, just needs to be something I like!!! I'll never sell them, so who cares what they might be worth!

I'll see if I can take some digital photos and post a few.

Old-
If you want to collect them in hopes that they will be worth something in the future, good luck!! It's hard to predict what will bring value in 10 or 20 years. Those blings could go either way, since the big rim thing is just a fad. And Hot Wheels may be pumping out millions of them. Very few will probably ever be worth more than a few bucks. But you never know. Collect them because you think they are cool. (which I assume is why your doing it anyway)

I remember when the whole "die-cast" craze hit 15 years or so ago. Everyone was buying Winston Cup and muscle cars by the truckload because they were "collectable". And now most of them are not worth much at all, except for a select few limited production runs.

The toy companies are making a killing on these things just by calling them adult colectables!!!

Don't mean to rant about it, I just find it truely funny how some people think that every $5 Dale Jr. car they buy is gonna be worth thousands in a few years!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.