Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . .any good books lately?

I’m looking for the next author to read. I just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I’ve read all his books two religion two espionage. Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code are the religious one and for all you spy book lovers I recommend Digital Fortress and Deception Point. They are mysteries wrapped up in either the subject of religion or spying. Of the bunch I’d rank Deception Point as the poorest. It’s still an entertaining read but the others are much better. Although Da Vinci Code is his most popular book I enjoyed Angels better. Dan writes novels that are not so much action but are very exciting.

Other authors I’ve enjoyed most of their bodies of work include J K Rowlings, W.E.B. Griffin, Harold Coyle, and Elmore Leonard.

So who are you all reading for entertainment? Who would you recommend?

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
Dean Koontz ~ Creepy in a weird, not gruesome way.

` Dark Rivers of the Heart
` One Door Away from Heaven
` Whisper
` Hideway
` Funhouse

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm reading The Goddess, the Grail, and the Lodge. Its about some of the subject matter in Angels and Demons and the origins or religion, the Marovingians, and mary magdelene. Really interesting. Not recommended for Corners or any blindly believing Christian

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Name a genre...I like fantasy, sci-fi, horror, crime...
I've read Dave Eddings (Belgariad) :waytogo:
I LOVED Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy.
I like anything by John Steakley (Vampire$ and Armour--OMFG he's a good author!!!).
Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash)
Old Stephen King (Carrie, Cujo, etc).
Old Clancy...
I REALLY like Robert Heinlen, Orsan Scott Card, Asimov...I've been planning on reading some Piers Anthony.
I like the Black Company Series by Cook
The When True Night Falls trilogy by C.S Friedman...You have to get through the first 100 pages before things start moving in ANY of her books. But, she's an excellent author!

TFL

I also like anything in Penthous Forum and Penthouse Letters (except the gay stuff)...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
homeless_cq said:
You ever read the Eye of the World Series by Robert Jordan??
If not I highly recommend it :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you mention that homeless. I am re-reading Jordan's entire series, I just started The Great Hunt for the second time. I liked the series so much the first time but its so long i need to refresh myself again!

Everyone out there. Please go get Stephen King's "THE DARKTOWER" series. book one is "The Gunslinger." This series of books is f-cking awesome.

If you like Fantasy, also read the "Song of Ice & Fire" series by George RR Martin. He rocks. kills major characters off like its going out of style. Very ballsy.

I read Dan Brown's books. Fun pulpy adventure, pretty cool, but i'm sick of people thinking they are intellectuals because they know some "facts" from the books.

Good "espionage" book I just read, which is kinda old but is awesome, is Forsythe's "The Day of the Jackal." Very cool book.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
the first book is by far the weakest. It gets crazy in book 2, where the main dude is grabbin fools out of different times of NYC through "rifts." Then the adventure begins.

If i had to recommend a fantasy series, its George RR Martin's though. Its really good.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I read DaVinci Code a couple of months ago then shredded through Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress during the honeymoon cruise. (I get REALLY compulsive when I read - I have to finish the book, period :blush: ).

Deception Point was the weakest of the bunch, but still a page-turner. :waytogo:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
PorradaVFR said:
I get REALLY compulsive when I read - I have to finish the book, period :blush:

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm glad I'm not the only one. If I don't finish a book in a day or two, I probably won't. The last cruise we went on, I finished all three books by the second day (crappy weather).

·
Registered
822 Posts
KYLE MILLS

Todd Beamon his main character, He is an Alcoholic FBI agent that goes against all the rules of the FBI. Yet they always need him to solve the crime :grin:

Rising Phoenix
Storming Heaven
Free Fall
Sphere of Influence

JAMES PATTERSON

LONDON BRIDGES
• SAM'S LETTERS TO JENNIFER
• THE BIG BAD WOLF
• THE LAKE HOUSE
• THE JESTER
• FOUR BLIND MICE
• THE BEACH HOUSE
• VIOLETS ARE BLUE
• SUZANNE'S DIARY FOR NICHOLAS
• ROSES ARE RED
• CRADLE AND ALL
• POP GOES THE WEASEL
• JACK AND JILL
• MIRACLE ON THE 17TH GREEN
• KISS THE GIRLS
• WHEN THE WIND BLOWS

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[ QUOTE ]
DUC749S said:
KYLE MILLS

Todd Beamon his main character, He is an Alcoholic FBI agent that goes against all the rules of the FBI. Yet they always need him to solve the crime :grin:

Rising Phoenix
Storming Heaven
Free Fall
Sphere of Influence

[/ QUOTE ]

Are those in order? I might be checking out that guy but I want to start with his early work.

I tried Paterson but didn't take to it.

BTW I'm also compulsive when reading. I'll burn through a book in a day or two. Then read magazines to fill the time between books.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll also interested in "The Goddess, the Grail, and the Lodge." Keep the good suggestions coming.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Gruneun said:
[ QUOTE ]
PorradaVFR said:
I get REALLY compulsive when I read - I have to finish the book, period :blush:

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm glad I'm not the only one. If I don't finish a book in a day or two, I probably won't. The last cruise we went on, I finished all three books by the second day (crappy weather).

[/ QUOTE ]

what about ridiculously long books, like James Clavell books. His Asian Saga is some of the best of its type. And a guyu who spent time in a Japanese POW camp then writing fiction set in asian culture is pretty wild. But Noble House is like 1600 pages! Shogun is around 1300. Those are some long books!

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
I recently reread Pacific Destiny, by Richard O'Connor, about America's history in the Pacific and Asia. It was published about thirty-five years ago, but is very well-written. I've been meaning to look for more of his work. I think he could make the history of dirt interesting.

Last night and this morning I read Great Lakes Shipwrecks & Survivals, by William Ratigan. Another old book, and I don't care for the writing, but I love shipwreck stories. Not recommended for cruises.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts