·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Those are pretty freakin' sweet! Thanks for sharing. :waytogo:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Those kick some serious ass

i like the line in the F-15 one "pull the handle, if that doesn't work, pull it again, if that doesn't work, enjoy the ride down"

I don't know who else has ever thrown an emergency chute(and had it not open right away), but its all too true.

·
eGunny
13,417 Posts
Wanna go on a fun ride.......take the British C130 flight into BIAP. The approach is out of this world. They zip up a little high and dive for the runway. Its a fooking kick in the pants. I have flown so much on C130's it does not bother. Others are not so lucky....... :grin:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I know the pilot that brought me into sd dropped us pretty hard on the runway, I was sitting near the rear, and had a full view of the right wing, about 30 feet up, i could see the seperation on the wing, and just new we were going to drop that last bit, thininking to myself "easy cowboy", id love to fly the approach into something like hongkong.

my mom damn near shat herself last time she saw me land, it was raining, and i new I had water beaded up on my leading edge, flying into the wind at about 150 feet, i rolled maybe 45degs and pulled off a hard slipping 360 to try and blow it off, I leveled off my 360 at about 10 feet doing an honest 45 mph. I figure my sail probably had about 30 lbs of water on it, for a wing that weights 70 lbs, thats signifgant to say the least, can you say, flare early. :laugh: nothing more fun then landing in no wind with a 20 mph stall speed on your feet.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Watching that F/A-18 brought me to a sad, but all too accurate conclusion.

Motorcycles are for pussies. :frown:

My god, I can't imagine ever wanting to come down when the fooking SKY is your playground. I always dreamt of doing that, but am old enough to realize the odds are against it ever being a reality.

*sigh*

Wow.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
start hanggliding

if you can afford a motorcycle you can afford to fly a hangglider, this was my first wing, as you can see by the reflection in the helmet, and the direction im looking, im pretty much completely inverted, in a slow truck of a glider.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
wingswheels said:
start hanggliding

if you can afford a motorcycle you can afford to fly a hangglider, this was my first wing, as you can see by the reflection in the helmet, and the direction im looking, im pretty much completely inverted, in a slow truck of a glider.

[/ QUOTE ]

They had that in Rio when I lived there...looks amazingly peaceful and fun, but as far as I know I'm a little too much cargo for the airframe of a glider. Isn't there a ~175lb limit?

Not sure about that whole "run off a cliff on purpose" takeoff thing either. :wink:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
my dad is 220 and hooks in at around 240, and is nearly 60 and still flys. once you get a few takeoffs under your belt, you will have absolutly no problem running off a cliff. its when your on a cliff with no glider that you have a problem. Im 160 and ive balasted myself up(racing) to a hooking weight of over 200lbs.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
If you want to get the real kick, go into Gliders.
Soaring is the funniest and coolest thing I ever did. It's the most peaceful sport I know, but it's also the most entertaining.

The most fun thing I ever had in a glider was ?artflying? (don't know the english word).
I didn't fly it myself (you need a special license to do it):
The pilot dived to get speed, pulled up absolutely vertical, the glider loses speed, hangs in the air and then dives backwards... and flips over the top to head again directly to earth.
In german this manoeuver is called a "Männchen" and it's absolutely the most fun I ever encountered.

Only thing getting close to soaring is doing the Nürburgring on a motorcycle. :808922-fiddy:

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
soaring is to powered flight, as seduction is to rape.

artflying- sounds like aerobatics to me, and the manuever you describe I would call a tail slide, DEFINITLY not something you ever want to encouter in a hangglider, cuz the nose won't stop at verticle, and you will go end over end multiple times, usually until the glider breaks apart. I had that happen to me after a bad entry into a flat spin, since that point, I have not attempted to enter a flat spin on purpose, but have had one half turn spin trying to turn into bullet of a thermal(im talking vario pegged at 1500 ft/min, banked past 60 degrees, and holding on for dear life until I was highenough for it to smooth out and let me exit in a smooth way

i actually have some screenshots from a vid of my tumble, ill find them and throw em up, if you want to see pure hell.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
you must understand, I was flying at the very edge. Doing what they will tell you NEVER to do, id spun that glider 100 times, and I blew it once. properly executed its beautiful, the inside wing starts to fly backward, and you have absolutly no airspeed, its gets completely silent, as you watch the ground underneath you spin, but you feel like you aren't moving at all, the only things you hear is the airflow seperating from the top of the wing(sounds like a ripping/tearing sound) and it feels great, but you have half your aircraft flying backward, and you have no airspeed, and in a tailless aircraft, thats very close to disaster.

and deep down you know it, because when you recover the nose drops right to verticle, and you go into a freefall verticle dive, with your entire body infront of the glider, which is great for building up speed for a loop, but if you can't get your weight forward(like I was unable to) the entire system is veryclose if not unstable(hence my complete lose of control).

bascially I got too confident, and too aggressive, and it bit me in the ass hard.

very few pilots ever do aerobatics in a hangglider, its not what they are built for(with very few exceptions). Something like 90+% of all hanggliding parachute deployments are the result of blown aerobatic manuevers.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
SS, what kind of glider do you fly, ive flown with them, but never had the chance to get in one, the performance of a modern glass ship is quite amazing.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
specialsymbol said:
...The most fun thing I ever had in a glider was ?artflying? (don't know the english word)...

[/ QUOTE ]

In Deutsche is it "kunstfliegen"?

I guess in English they'd just call it aerobatics. With gliders it's popular at airshows to play some nice peaceful music while some guy rings the neck of his glider for everyone to see.

Those four videos were pretty cool. They're a fine tribute to the hard working maintenance people who keep those birdies flying. :wink: :waytogo: I see the F-18 seems to be missing a Sidewinder halfway through the video. I wonder who pissed him off...

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
you can also see a bomb come off the left wing at one pont in the F/A 18 vid.

you bring up a good point, why is it common to here a piano or something playing when some guy in a Salto or something is completely thrashing his plane around, sure you gotta be smooth, but theres a lot of forces in any of those manuevers, and the pilot sure isn't listening to paino up there.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yeah, I guess your average sailpane doesn't have a very snappy roll rate with those big wings. It would still be cool to see one fly a routine while they're playing "Ace of Spades" by Motorhead in the background. Who cares if the two don't mix...that song RULES!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts