Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some research to see which of the two motorcycle mechanics schools is the right one for me. Both seem to be pretty good and in the end it's going to come down to me to decided. Just wanted some insight if there is any out there from those that have been to either school. If any mechanics out there could tell me which one is more respected in the industry I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

:808922-fiddy:

·
Registered
395 Posts
what ever intel you get please send it this way because it looks like i'm going to mmi in pheonix in the fall i want to know i'm making the right decision

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No prob charlie. In another message board I was warned about the low pay and told that most mechanics will end up going into sales eventually for more money, unless they are really good and the money is fine with them. Other than that nothing so far.

·
eScreaming Dizbuster
12,112 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
In another message board I was warned about the low pay. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to say anything because you didn't ask, but either of those schools will set you on a career path to poverty. You can also forget about taking vacation during the riding season.

If you've just gotta be a mechanic, look into the BMW STEP program.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've posted this before, but I will do it again. My good friend went to AMI, he enjoyed it. Worked in the field for a few years. Now is in law enforcement. But an outstanding mechanic.

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
I just talked with our service manager and MMI is much better school then AMI. As for the comments about not making any money they were either not fast or didnt stick it out. Your first few years you wont make a lot of money but if you stick it out and land in a good shop you will do good.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went to MMI in AZ. Loved it tokk the Hontech,Fast, and Yamapro programs. I learned so much. Wish I took the dyno jet program. Anyway I heard good things about both schools. Loved the riding out in AZ (89a great ride don't miss it if you are out there).

Now the real life deal is I moved back to Buffalo NY (got married). I am not working in a dealership at this time athough I do do some side work for some of them. If you want a the best chance at making a good living I would rcommend going through the Harley program as well. Think about it harleys break down way more than any other bikes out. You want to go into that field because there is always work Or you could be like all those popular chopper shows and order parts and assemble choppers!! But If your love of motorcycles is strong it is worth every penny to go to school. It will make you riding experience that much better. Good Luck with your choices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts