Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motivated by how helpful you guys were in my thread concerning Alpinestars GP gloves, I decided to post this particular question regarding alpinestars boots, because I wanted to clarify a doubt I have.
The smx-plus boots seem to be, at least for me, better than the supertech. Of course they are not supposed to be, because they are cheaper. MCN tested them both, and gave a higher mark to the smx-plus (96% and 91%, respectively), which only served to make it even more intriguing. In fact, the normal smx, that are way cheaper, got 93% ...
I think they are supposed to be like daytonas, with an internal armor made of carbon. However, unlike daytona's website, no pictures of the inner structure are available in alpinestars website. I suppose nobody has them, right?
This is not an important matter, because I'm not going to buy new boots, at least any time soon, I'm quite happy with my Sidi vertebra race boots. It's just that I'm curious...

Can anyone shed some light into this ?

P.S. I have never seen any of them before me, only in pictures

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm thinking about the SMXs and looked at the SMX plusses.

Plastic protecton on the SMX+ looked a little thicker than the SMX. Supertech looks like a smaller boot but presumably has at least the same protection as the SMX+. Fit might be better, too. I could definitely tell a difference between the cheaper and more expensive Teknic boots in the footbed and arch support -- more snug, more comfortable fit.

The more expensive Alpinestars also seem more secure on the calf.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You are correct about the Supertech boots. I have seen a picture of the inner boot, and I thought it was on the Alpinestars site(?). It's much like the Daytona, but has a 2 piviot joining piece between the foot and calf pieces. It looks like it would be just a bit more mobile for walking.

2002 Triumph Sprint ST
World Storehouse of useless Knowledge

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
i've worn the SMX-Plus boots and they're VERY stiff. Like, too stiff in my opinion. They added all this reinforcement to the ankle and made the sole really stiff, so when riding it's difficult to flex your foot to shift. I've only worn mine a couple of times, but I've talked to another guy who has worn them too and he says the same thing. The sole is too stiff.

I hear the Supertech's are very good though, and I personally have a pair of the old SM-X boots that I love.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The new plus's are definately stiffer than the regular SMX's.
I've had mine for about a month now. it took some time getting used to(a few hours)
but no it's no big deal.
I havn't seen the inside of the new "techs" but the Plus's have an "inner boot"
w/ speed lacing for more support.
I would have bought the Vert races, but they didn't fit around my calf/images/icons/crazy.gif

Welcome to Las Vegas.....Now go home!!!!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Fraga... ive been juggling between the smx plus and vertebra race. Ive been able to try on the plus and have not been able to try on any sidi yet but given the input we have here for the plus can you shed some light for me with similar input on the vertebra race?

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't find any pictures of the inner boot, I guess I will have to look for it better.
Nemesis, obviously I can't give you any input regarding alpinestars boots.
As sidi's race are concerned, well, I have short and large feet, and I usually use 40/41 euro size in normal footwear, however, my boots had to be in size 43. The dealer told me usually everybody got a size up, but in my case it had to be 3 sizes up! They are narrow and long.
For me, they are confortable, but you have to keep in mind that this kind of boots were designed for protection, not walking. I try to walk the least I can in them, don't want to wear them out, they were bloody expensive (you see, wages here in Portugal are way lower than yours, so if you think they are expensive there, imagine earning 4 times less and still trying to get good gear...). Oh, and they nhec nhec a lot. But Wd-40 solves that, though.
As protection is concerned, the shin carbon fiber seems very good, and around the calf the smx-plus/supertech seem defenitely better, with a lot more protection, however I'm comparing to pictures, so don't take for sure. I can be wrong. As for ankle, it looks rather good.
Of course, all this talk about protection is speculation, because I haven't (I hope never will) crashed in them.
Sole is not very stiff, which is good for walking and feeling the rear brake/shift pedal, but not for protection. It's a compromise, I guess. However, they a sole rigidity system (check sidi.it for details), and it works. Makes walking in them a lot easier, and safer (harder) while riding. The toe sliders go all the way from the sole ridigity system to the front of the boot, offereing better protection for the toes than the smx.
Conclusion, the race appears to be better at the front and sole, the smx-plus at the back (calf and around calf). The race's carbon fiber shin protector also appears to be better.

Hope this helps.

I also use furygan's diamond jacket, spidi's grid and MTX trousers/carbotech gloves/air back protection, suomy's gunwind Scott Russell replica, Lazer's modular revolution.
If any of you need any input regarding this gear, feel free to ask!

Thanks again.

P.S. Is there something like esportbike addicts anonymous ?
I desperately need therapy !!!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Thanks for the input Fraga. As i have not been able to try on a pair myself your info is better then nothing. Ive tried on the plus boots and i like them but i originally wanted the race boots for the added protection but i guess i'll have to try some on to realy know if theyre worth it for me.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I emailed alpinetars to ask them for a picture of the supertech inner boot.
They were very polite, and very helpful, because not being happy with sending me just a picture, they mailed me all the way from Italy their complete line of catalogs.
Here is a scaned picture from their catalog of what I was talking about.

I will definitely be buying their products in the future.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
here is a pic of the inner boot of the SMX-plus. As you can see it's not really an inner boot, but more of a extra bit of shoe to keep your foot in one place.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great pic, Josh.
Thanks!

How do you like them? I know you've said they are really stiff, but I guess that's really a plus, at least if I'm looking for protection and not confort.
Have you tried the sidi's vertebra race? If so, how do they compare to your own, which do you think are the better?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
They are really stiff, and no it's not a good thing when riding. Honestly, the first time I put them on and rode home, I went to shift and I couldn't. My foot couldn't flex at all, so I had to flex my knee to get my toe under the lever. I hear they soften up a bit but are still very stiff (too stiff, in my opinion).

And it's not just about protection. Anything that takes away from your ability to feel confident and in control of your bike is a hazard. ANY boot that doesn't fit right, or leathers/helmet, etc..is ultimately a safety hazard.

And i have not tried Sidi Vertebra race, but im sure they're awesome. I use the Vertebra II as my main boot and they're simply awesome. Totally comfortable, really protective. I wish I could get Sidi to send me a pair of the Race boots, but for some reason they just never seem to offer them...oh well, Vertebra II are good enough for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the smx-plus and really like them. They took a couple of rides to get used to, but now I can't imagine riding without a good boot. I too originally wanted the Vert 2's, but were too tight around the calf.... IMO the plus are the way to go.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Id say go with the Vertebra 2 unless you have the dough to dish out for the Vertebra race. I dont have any but im getting one of those soon. I heard from many people that the Vetebras have a softer sole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a pair of SMX Plus boots because they were the only boots I could find that fit well and had good protection. The speed-laces in the instep area allow them to adapt to my oddly proportioned feet.

They are stiff and that bothered me at first, but either they have broken-in or I have just gotten used to them. I had to adjust my shifter way up to start with, but have been moving it back down bit by bit.

Walking short distances in them is not a problem.

Overall I am pleased with them.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Yeah if you wanna call an 8th of an inch adjustable.
I wanted the vert II's also, but they were still to small (fully opened)
to wrap around my calf.
I really like my plus'. good boot. still a little small around the calf but........

Welcome to Las Vegas.....Now go home!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts