Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a pair of alpinestars GP plus gloves.
They seem to be very nice, and are way cheaper than dainese/spidi/axo/etc top of the line gloves. However, where I live, I can only get them by ordering, because the dealers here don't have any in stock. I'm tired of buying gear by just looking at pictures and then ordering. Can you guys please help me? Any experiences with them? Any crashes?Please post your opinions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
I have em and love them. I had a crash, 35mph low side on a sandy shoulder. The right glove took a hard hit and was no worse for wear. I ride in the almost every time I ride.
I think they are tops. Teknic's are real good too. About the same price also(I think)
Hope this helps a little./images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just bought a pair last week and they are great!!! I was considering Dainese but I rahter saved the money for something else. The GP Plus are very comfortable, better than my old Teknic.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Had a pair for more than a year now...and I plan on buying the exact same gloves to replace them when they need it. They still LOOK new, except for the white decorative stiching, which is rather dirty. They're great in warm/hot weather, but they suck in the cold. I have a pair of glove liners, which help a little. They get a good grip on the bars, even when wet in rain and extreme cold. (like 30F riding) I have NO crash experience with these, and I hope I don't get any. I have no complaints whatsoever about these gloves...

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
693 Posts
I love the GP plus gloves, they are way better than the teknics for sure.(I've crash tested both)/images/icons/crazy.gifI think the teknics are really thin in the palms and didnt hold up very well when I went down in them. I recently lowsided my EX500 at about 80mph.I got my left hand stuck between the ground and the bar and slide for a good 100-150ft like that.I wore thru the CF on the knuckles but that was it.I know if I had a lesser quality glove on I wouldn't have much of a left hand left.
They do run one size small and take a little bit to break in too.The first 3 or 4 rides I hated them because they hurt my hands and had to be broken in.
<font color=red>Whatcha doin?</font color=red> Chewin Chocolate<font color=red>Where'd you get it?</font color=red>doggie dropped it

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ummmmmmmm........Love the GP Plus and wish I could wear them even when I don't ride /images/icons/wink.gif they are that comfortable. Already broke in, soft leather, padding in all the right places & the protection is awesome. I ordered the black on black from kneedraggers, they still have a deal on them (free 2 day shipping I think) Highly recommend these gloves and like most have said, I will get the exact same pair if and when these wear out. Have not and hope not to crash test them but I have no hesitation that they would hold up, even in a high speed get off.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I am debating on purchasing them too. I really like the white and black ones alot and although I my techincs seem to be good quality they are just a bit too small to bear and I think I need to go a size bigger.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
People, THANKS!!!
I never thought I would be getting this much feedback!
I will definitely buy them.
TLWANNAB, glad to hear you are all right.
Thanks again, you are all a bunch of very nice, friendly, helpful, beautiful and cool people!

Ride safe, wear your gear and beware of the caged ones!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
/images/icons/smile.gif its what we love about this forum Officer. LoL
Seriously though.. stick around enough and you'll see just HOW helpful these guys are. Ive never had a question unanswered and theres ALL kinds of information you can just read on the forums.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
HMM. For the price, I hated them. They were cold in mornings, and they wore out at 10,000 miles. I didn't find them the most comfortable at all, especially with the exposed finger holes that wore thru due to overuse. I'm using Joe Rockets right now with finger-vents. I got them on discount for 100$. The biggest innovation is the outer seams on these gloves. If you have not tried JR gloves on, please DO before you buy your GP+ gloves. I never tried them on until my GP+ wore out, but oh what a difference.

Keep in mind, I used the GP+ until 16000 mile mark, and they had holes on both index and middle fingers of my right hand. They were comfortable in the beginning, but the inner-lining soon deteriorated.

Sorry for the negative feedback about this glove. I don't feel that it's a good commuting glove, although I cannot dispute that the build quality is sturdy for crash worthyness.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
well said donoman... there has to be some negative feedback to back up positive feedback. Lets face it.. nothing is absolute and always when it comes to wear and tear.

<font color=red>Ride Red</font color=red>

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dono, thanks.
Appreciated your honest opinion.
I will still get them, because I don't use my bike for commuting and I think nobody sells JR where I live. Still, do you know what's their website? Just curious...
It's good to know what to expect from whatever we are buying. I use Spidi carbotech, and they are great! Problem is, spidi's gloves are very expensive, my gloves are almost the same price as the gp plus, and have nowhere as near much armour. However, they saved my skin is a crash I had, my hand slided for several meters, and they stood up pretty well, besides saving my skin. I still wear them, one year later. However, due to use, there are some holes on the left wrist, next to the seems.
They are very confortable, and the leather is very subtle. They offer very good abrasion resistance, while letting you feel the controls, almost as if you didn't have them on.
Of course, as any sport gloves, they are cold in winter.

Thanks again, I'm in love with all of you !

P.S. Is there something like esportbike addicts anonymous ?
I desperately need therapy !!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
i like my GP+ gloves too. but they are not very good in COLD weather. i rode in 48-50 degree weather for 30 mins and my hands were numb from the cold. also after 8,000 miles i noticed that the tips of my fingers on my right glove are wearing somewhat thin. i may have a tight right hand grip but it looks slightly thin. besides that though these gloves are really comfortable and nice. havent crashed in them but i trust my hands in them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts