Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody put aftermarket indicators on their bike, like the LP flushmounts? Just curious which style fits the best on the RS. The LP website states that they shouldn't be used where DOT lighting is required. Does that mean that they are illegal?

Umm....bye.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I looked into after market indicators and never really found any that I liked. The Triumph signals are small when compaired to most bikes. I found they looked good when I shortend the stalks so they sit in closer to the fairings.

“When the dogs are looking for their bones and it’s raining ice picks on your steel shores”

·
Registered
56 Posts
As far as I know there is no law requiring you to have indicators at all. Any blinking light back there would be better than your arm hanging out. I had a set of Lockhart flush mounts on my Daytona and just this weekend I installed them on my ST. Makes a world of difference in apperance especially if you eliminate that ugly rear fender hanging down.

The name says Daytona but now I ride a Sprint ST.
Ride to Live, Live to Ride!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here are some pictures of the flush mounts...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another one

·
Registered
56 Posts
OOOpppsss!!!! Forgot to rotate before uploading. Sorry guys for the kink in the neck.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
You need to check the laws for your state, but generally speaking turn signals *are* required if your bike was originally equiped with them. All motorcycles sold for street use in the USA after January 1, 1973 are supposed to have turn signals per US DOT regulation. The DOT reg also specifies that turn signals must be a minimum distance apart, which is why so many stock signals have such long stalks. Whether or not your state has a law that enforces these regulation varies greatly.

Believe it or not, I have actually seen people get fix-it tickets in California for flush mount turn signals. This was about ten years ago when the CHP was doing saturation enforcement/harrassment of sportbikers near the Rock Store. They were writing tickets for every flush mount, every chopped fender, and every aftermarket exhaust (I got nicked for that one myself).

Outside of an aberation like that, however, I doubt that any cops are going to harrass you for having LP turn signals. Technically, yes, they are probably not DOT approved, and LP's lawyers probably make them put that disclaimer in there, but generally speaking I wouldn't worry about it. Most cops won't even know the difference anyway. If you're really worried about it, keep the stock indicators in a box somewhere so you can slap them back on for an inspection if you ever get a fix-it ticket.

-KeithU

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which style LP fit the front signals?

DaytonaDawg, which ones do you have on the rear? John King is coming out with a kit for the rear of the Sprints (relocators for signals and license plate), so I may wait for that to do anything with the rear.

Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Sean

Umm....bye.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
scbaumm, where do you get John King stuff? I am planning to cut the ugly rear fender, but I would love complete kit.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the flush mount small size, any bigger and the probably would not look right due to the bend in the body work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the enlightenment. I had no idea that would be the case. Sorry for the bad advice...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not an undertail, just a relocator kit. Not sure if you will have to hack the fender or not. He said it's about 30 days out.

Umm....bye.

G

·
Maybe I'm missing something here (I often am) but isn't the point of turn signals so that the cagers can anticipate what we're planning? Flush mounts look great but are nearly invisible.
I WANT to be seen by them....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts