Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, there are a few things you can do. Change your seating position to more upright to put more weight on your butt and less on your wrists. You could also squeeze the tank with your legs while doing this to take even more pressure off your wrists. If you're confident enough sit up and take your left hand off the bar and just rest it somewhere..."cruise mode". I wouldn't recommend this to everybody, especially if you're new and especially in traffic. "Cruise mode" doesn't allow for quick reactions to obstacles, braking cars, pedestrians, etc. Other than that, ride more...the more you ride, the more your body will get used to it and there will be no more pain. :waytogo:

·
eARRROOOOOGA
17,313 Posts
Make sure you're not supporting your body weight on your wrists. If you're relatively new to riding, it also takes some getting used to if this is your first bike that has an aggressive riding position. I think the weight is the main thing, support yourself with your legs & back, don't lean forward onto your wrists ~

JM

EDIT: Beat me to it Spiff ~

·
eWorldChamp
5,754 Posts
but not only the weigt is an issue... you can suffer from death-grip... try to loosen your hands and arm... try moves like a flying bird, and whiggle your ellbows. if you can do it easily, then you won´t cramp your hands - it also helps being easy on the throttle...

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Wiggle your elbows.

Seriously - if you can't do it then you're probably locking your arms straight and putting all that weight right onto your wrists. Your arms should have almost a 90-degree bend in them while riding, not stiff-armed like a linebacker.

:waytogo:

G

·
PHHHHH! Wait till your heels on your feet start to hurt. That's the worst. My arms don't hurt or get numb anymore. Support yourself with your torso, not the arms.

·
Registered
479 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
PorradaVFR said:
Wiggle your elbows.

Seriously - if you can't do it then you're probably locking your arms straight and putting all that weight right onto your wrists. Your arms should have almost a 90-degree bend in them while riding, not stiff-armed like a linebacker.

:waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

"Flapping" my arms is one of the best pieces of advise I got from this site. It helps to make sure you are keeping those arms relaxed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Micah said:
you may also consider cutting out other activities that continuosly require wrist movment :kaboom:

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a little hard to do while looking at your avatar micah :lol:

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, might want to add in a few back strengthening exercises at the gym or home.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea. I started doing Jiu-Jutsu and it helps alot with coordination and strength... Also in concentrating under physical stress.

The wiggle-your-elbows tip is the best I ever got. :waytogo:

When you go on your first longer trips you'll find out that braking downhill has a tendency to make you nervous.
The bike doesn't react like normal- mostly because you have the feeling of "tipping over" (like when snowboarding) and lock up your arms. Wiggling helps there really much as well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts