Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
e-pariah
6,640 Posts
Nobody loves the Crest more than I do but…

Don’t Go...

I was up there day after Christmas, right before the big storms. It was very cold, at those temps even the stickiest tires don’t stay hot enough for the kind of traction you want to have for the twisties. One or our 16 riders went down early, not even pushing it, just passed Wrightwood. There was a bit of ice in two of the darkest corners and it hadn’t rained or snowed for 2 weeks. There were lots of cinders put down by the snow crews on the center line and at the edge of most of the road; if you lose your line in a turn avoiding the rocks that will inevitably be falling from all the weather we have had, and get into the cinders it’s over. There was a bit of good road and some fun twisties down the north side of the mountain around Valeyermo, but by the time I got there, I had to continue on cautiously because by then I was solo; everyone else had boned out from the crash or the cold. I stopped at the Mile High Café and warmed myself by the fire over breakfast before proceeding to Nukems Ranch. Unfortunately I think it will be sometime before I will be riding the Crest. I did managed to get a few photos and I have attached one to this post.

When you do decide to go let me know, cause I may want to go too……

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm imagining its a mess, but hopefully they'll sweep it off soon. If it gets a little warmer and doesn't rain, maybe early next week could be worth a look. I've got new tire to scrub in so I'll be taking it easy regardless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.