Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out riding today I do not know what it was. It could have been that I havent had a good ride in the past 4 months but it feels like my bike is to much to handle at times. I really do not mean the power, but the urge to use the power. Personally I can handle the power itself and the cornering capablities but the urge to go WOT at times bothers me. And track days arent happening any time soon for me since I live in Buffalo a and b I do not have mocho denero.

How do you guys not do stupid things at times. Maybe its a maturity thing or something or i just havent been bitten in the ass yet i dunno. I fully realize that doing stupid things can get me killed or in jail but sometime my judgement lacks.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys not do stupid things at times. Maybe its a maturity thing or something or i just havent been bitten in the ass yet i dunno. I fully realize that doing stupid things can get me killed or in jail but sometime my judgement lacks.

[/ QUOTE ] We've all done stupid stuff from time to time , most of us have had tickets and accidents because of it . Just be carefull and ride within your limits and dont do anything that you wont be able to handle the concinquences . Also after with experiance you learn where and when you can get away with a little fun on the streets .

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
And that there is the reason why the GS-500 is a perfect beginner's bike. :smirk:
Now that you've stepped up into SV territory (And in a few beyond the SV, I assume), you better respect that wrist. :waytogo:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i had started on the Gsxr600 I would have been in serious trouble. I doubt I would have crashed yet but I would never have been able to use any of the capabilities of the bike. The skills I learned on the Gs directly translate over to the new bike. Unlike before with the GS that was pretty slow off the corner unless you had the thing screaming this bike kicks my ass no matter were it is in the powerband. I would love to do a track day with this thing so I can "safely" slide the rear comming off a corner and pound it out in a straight away.

Ya and I need to ride with you some time GS I want to see just how fast you can make that little Gs go. One thing that hasnt happened to me yet is getting schooled by someone on a smaller bike.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I get the same way sometimes. Tends to happen after I have ridden for serveral days in a row.

I know after I get off the bike that I have been bad when I have been. I put it in the garage and force myself to ride shotgun with my wife for a week in the civic.

...buuut, that sometimes back fires as the car is a slow POS.

Get off and take a rest. Think about what you just did and how dead you would be right now if something...anything had gone wrong. Those thoughts tend to get my back in the right frame of mind.

G

·
I'll tell you like this. Ahem... 5 times in jail, countless tickets, 7 wrecked cars on more than 10 different ocasions (2 almost killed me), and having my license revolked twice keeps me looking heavily for the cops when i speed and, finding reasons not to speed or act an azz. :kaboom: :cwm27:

·
Premium Member
24,352 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Dclxvi said:

Ya and I need to ride with you some time GS I want to see just how fast you can make that little Gs go. One thing that hasnt happened to me yet is getting schooled by someone on a smaller bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on up to my neck of the woods, and you've got it! :waytogo:

BTW, you haven't been schooled by a smaller bike rider because you started off on a GS, and now you've got an SV...so <u>now</u> it can happen. However, I am not saying I'm the fastest rider out there; there are plenty of riders that can absolutely school me on thier bikes...like a mid 80's ZX-10. Sure, the bike looks huge, and looks like it doesn't want to corner, but Jammer sure can rail it! :smile:

However, on the flip side, SpikedLemon seems to have a lot of fun with me when I'm riding with him (He rides a '00 929). He says I keep a decent pace, but he is certianly quicker than me when he wants to be :smirk:

Just remember, Dcl, and this may help you in keeping control of the wrist, any idiot in the world can whack that throttle WFO, but it takes a lot more skill to exit the corner with more speed than when you entered it.

That's what keeps me from doing excessive speeding most of the time. That, and my insurance premiums :808908-wtf:

But a lot of what I talk about in doing to the GS while I'm aboard it is also from 4 years of experience (25,000 miles) on the same bike. It helps to know your steed, and where the limitations of the bike as well as yourself on said bike. That's a big reason why I also suggest keeping a first bike for more than just a few months. Sure, you can learn a lot about riding in general within the first couple thousand miles, but you don't really get a chance to learn about the bike until after that.

When I first started thinking that the GS was inadequate (At about 3000 miles) that's when I started to really push myself and the bike. That was when I started to learn how to ride. I pushed myself to have perfect upshifts and downshifts, brake without nose dive, handle a corner without coming out of my lane, (Knowing that a lane has three lanes for a bike,) and I also got a good taste of what maintainance was all about in owning a bike.

But hey...that's just me, and not everyone agrees with me on a good day :smile:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol Gs if you really want to know what made me switch bikes the most. It was the EFI on the gsxr compared to the carb on the GS. I absolutely hate using a choke.. its a pretty lame reason but i would have to say that is one of the number 1 reasons i got rid of the GS

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
hey, you for sure can get in jail on a 500.

we just keep ourselves from doing stupid things by thinking of the other people around (pedestrians, residents, bikers, cagers, esp. cops).
try not to piss them off and you won't do anything stupid- it's that easy.

doesn't help always, sometimes it just bites you and you think whoa, going triple the speedlimit was not a good idea.

that's when i start loving that we have human cops around here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.