Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wow, that looks like my buddy and I! We did some top end comparisons last weekend.

My bike: 2000 R1 with only a Mig slip on and shimmed needles to richen up the mixture.
Rider: 220lbs

His bike: 2001 GSX-R1000 with a K&N PC and a TRE module.
Rider: 240lbs

First run I started out in front and he could not catch me to pass me. We ran them to about 180mph indicated. Our second run we start next to each other in 6th gear. We rolled on at the same time and ended up neck and neck up to 150mph. We had to slow down for some cars.

We decided a more intensive study needed to be conducted so I'll come back with more results. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
nice vid. I don't know if the Yamaha was totally stock besides a slip-on. The 98/99 did have a larger rear sprocket though so maybe it is possible.

My toys

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
according to that video, the R1 is a 98 and the gixxer is an 01. i thought for sure the gixxer was suppose to walk away from the yami. supposedly the R1 only has a slip on. gixxer is stock.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I laughed the first 10 times I saw that video.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
165 Posts
it seems as if most gsxr1000 owners (and most suzuki sportbike owners regardless of cc's) would like all motorcyclists to know that their 1000r is some sort of R1 eater. I have come to realize that if you have average motorcycle riding skills, the bikes are pretty damn even. Each bike has more than enough power for the streets that I ride upon.

Why are Suzuki's so ugly?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey I got an Idea, why don't I have one of my friends trail behind me with a video camera and make it look like he can't keep up and put that video on the net. Not to try and take anything from the R1 I think its BS, from the roll ons I've done but thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I second what Unfazed just mentioned.

I have raced numerous times R1s that are fully moded with my bike (see profile for more info) and the question was not weather I was going to pass them or not, but rather how fast would I catch them. So everytime I would race them, I'd give them 2-3sec start so I could see how fast MY GSXR1000 would catch the 2 R1, yes, 2 R1 at the same time, and how much faster at the time of the pass I was going.

The above video has been posted here before and I think misled some individuals in believing the GIX wasn't faster than the R1.

Put an R1 against a EQUALLY moded GSXR and you'll see the result by yourself.

K&N, TRE and a PC3 by itself does absolutly nothing for highend power. Tell your buddy to put a slip-on and then race him again. Also tell him to stop doing the "poor-man's" mods on his bike :) If he's going to mod it, to start at least with the exhaust system.

Also, the explanation on how come the R1 accelerates almost at the same pace as the GSXR was that the GSXR is geared taller in order to hit more than 180mph the R1 is geared smaller to reach 172mph and allowing it to accelerate almost as fast as the GSXR1000 in the first few gears.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more exciting for me than to have good competition from the R1. Some of my friends (and foes :( ) ride R1s. But unfortunatelly this year Honda and Yamaha decided to drop the towel and stop instigating more power for the big bikes. The way I see it, 186mph is already passed the safety treshold, so why not just go for the 200mph mark?

Note: The 2 R1s that I had raced one had a slip on the other a full sys. and both were jetted. One had a full Ohlin sys and had been "professionally tuned.

Note2: JSE, who is the individual who made the above video will state that everything was legit with the filming of the video and that the GSXR was stock and HIS R1 had at least a slip on.
I think that now JSE is a proud owner of a GSXR1000 if I'm not mistaken. And knowing how he's always quik to respond to my comments on him and or his vedeo, he'll probably come by this thread and elaborate more on the differences between these two bikes (briefly I hope:D )

Make no mistake, the 2 bikes are fast, and their differances are measured in tenths of a second, but isn't that how some races are decided? Or how you can sneak-pass your friend to overtake him on the next turn? Food for thought....

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Rider6,

Sure it hits 13G, but do you notice how hesitant the needle moves when accelerating below that? All GSXR owners know that is not right and that's why we take this video as amusing.

Whoa, this thread brings back memories from when the GSXR1000 first came out and R1 owners were skeptical about its performance. I'm surprised people still have their doubts. Unless... could it be that my buddies and I got bikes from a good batch?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts