Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1997 9R there is a little trapezoidal hole right above the headlight (below the windshield). I think it is used for an additional light on the non-US versions of the bike. Anyone know where I can get one of these lights?

Thanks

Einstein says high speed slows time, so go fast, stay young!
http://home.satx.rr.com/jroberts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Tex, I was looking for the same thing a while back, with no luck.

The vent is supposed to act as an "air stabilizer", of sorts; to keep buffeting/turbulence behind the speedscreen at a minimum. (Not sure if the Euro bike owners notice any increase with this vent closed off. It would make for an interesting experiment to cover the vent and see if any change is noted.)

I should be in the garage wrenching on my 9R a little later this evening, I'll check my service manual, and see if it references a part number for the running light that fits that hole.

<font color=green>Objects in Mirrors are <font color=red>LOSING!!</font color=red></font color=green>

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
On my '02 6R, there's a third little light, right in the spot you described.

visible here..

Maybe it took them a couple years to decide what to do with that space.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Here's the best pic showing the vent that I can put my hands on, it's hard to tell, but there's an "insert" in the hole, which appears to duct the airflow upward along the inside of the speedscreen, ala reduce turbulence.

<font color=green>Objects in Mirrors are <font color=red>LOSING!!</font color=red></font color=green>

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Whoa, Badge! What's going on with the 9? Just getting new tires put on or do you have some other work/mods in progress?

Or is that just an old picture?

·
eModerator
7,723 Posts
On the older models there was a light in that hole in Europe. The light is not available thru Kawasaki USA. In 99 or 00 the US law was changed to allow that light so they no longer have to remove it for US spec bikes

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thanks longrider. I just need to find a European used parts house!

Hey, Badge, where DID you get those see-thru rims and tires? KEWL! /images/icons/smile.gif

Einstein says high speed slows time, so go fast, stay young!
http://home.satx.rr.com/jroberts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Whoa, Badge! What's going on with the 9? Just getting new tires put on or do you have some other work/mods in progress?

<hr></blockquote>

/images/icons/laugh.gif Just got the wheels off so I can get my new skins mounted! /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Here's another pic from an '00 model:

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
81 Posts
I pulled the silly little light out of my 12 and installed a set of strobes. I flick them on when approaching an intersection or other times when I need a little extra visibility. Not sure about the legalities.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
ZX-Tex,

The only place where you can get that light is here in europe. I did that with my 7r and it's the same exact light! /images/icons/cool.gif

Here's the problem...it costs 60 Euros! (That's about $68.00)

I can check around other shops for a cheaper price so if you're still interested email me and I'll see what I can do for you! /images/icons/cool.gif

You will have to fabricate the wiring for the light, for it too is very expensive!

<font color=red>Ride Fast and Safe!!!</font color=red>

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well it's not very functional so you probably won't gain anything measurable from it. Your bike looks good without it!

A little GAS... is a good thing!!!!

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Let us know how it works out if you do one yourself.

kman

<font color=red>Live it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Ride it</font color=red> <font color=blue>></font color=blue> <font color=red>Race it</font color=red>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts