Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a starting point for setting up the suspension on my 99 R1. I played around with it all last summer without a whole lot of success. I'm a 180# rider that rides pretty hard in the corners and attends the occasional track day.

If anybody had the stock suspension settings or their own personal settings, it would help me out a lot.

<font color=blue>R1/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You shouldn't really need to crank them down too much more than stock... Figuring they set them up for 150lbs riders... Just start out with setting the static sag, and tweak the compression and rebound from there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would help me a great deal if i knew what the stock setting are... A new rear shock would be nice but i'm not sure how much difference it would make to me since 95% of my riding is on the street.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Well I have one on my "street" R1 and it makes a load of difference. I wish I could help you on the stock settings, do you have the manual? I know they are in there. If not I can dig mine up and tell you the '01's stock setup, I don't think they are different.

·
Registered
79 Posts
stock settings.. forks.. number 6 on the spring preload. ( blue tube ) 5 clicks out on the small screw in the center. Bottom for the fork compression damping, 5 clicks out. Rear spring preload, number 4 setting ( use the tool in the tool kit to move ) rebound damping on bottom of shock, 6 clicks out. And compression damping, ( top of shock ) 8 clicks out. My personal settings in order I gave you are, 5,1,3,5,8,and 5 hope that helps !

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I can give you what I ran last year, but keep in mind I'm also 230lbs without gear.

Front
Preload - no lines showing
Compression and Rebound - 2 clicks from full stiff

Rear
Preload - 3rd step from full stiff
Rebound and Compression - 3 clicks from full stiff.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys, i'll give those settings a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts