Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great friend of mine, who is one of the owners of the yamaha dealer in my Island, told me he received a fax from yamaha quotting an article from motorrad, a very prestigious german bike magazine, that said that the 954 was beeing recalled in germany because it had been responsible for three deaths. He said something like the steering locking up. Do any of you heard or know something?
I am very pleased with my bike, and have experienced no problems to this way. I am a bit sceptical about this, one of the reasons beeing my friend doesn't know much about english (the article was in english). He said he had it in his house, and tonight (it's 17H00 here) I will be going there to check it out.
Three days ago I cornered at about 150 MPH ... makes you think ...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Steering lockup? On a bike? Is this even possible? I think its BS. The 954's steering can't be that much different than the 929s (if it is at all).

·
Registered
21 Posts
The German 954 comes standard with a steering damper. They may be having a problem with them. I'm not sure what make the dampers are, but they are aftermarket installed by the German importer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly! That's what I thought. It can't lock!
Probably the problem is with the bike being very agile (and when I say very, I mean VERY), and they probably lost control of the front. It really needs a steering damper if you want to acelerate hard exiting corners. The front becomes quite light.
In a few hours I should know what the article really says.
I was reluctunt to post this without reading it first, but I thought probably someone could already know something.
(I wrote this before the post from ebola. Didn't know about the fact that german 954's came with steering dampers. That was probably the problem)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Don't know about anywhere else, but in the US there have been no recalls, advisories or service bulletins on the 954 yet. What sort of dampers are they using on the German ones?

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
What a GREAT freakin' recall that would be!!!
"Sir - we need you to bring in your bike so we can fit it with an Ohlin's Steering Dampener at OUR expense" !!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
yeah i would love that one. Hey noud i just got my Sportec's today. I hope they are as good as everyone is saying they are.

redCBR

Fly N LOW

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

who is one of the owners of the yamaha dealer

<hr></blockquote>

That alone tells me its BS!

<font color=red>RAMAIR & SERPENT EQUIP!!!</font color=red>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'll tell you what, I am seriously in the market for a dampener at this time. My 929 is way to slap happy! and I hear that 954 is even more twitchy. I know that you gotta keep your head down if you are going over 120 and be carefull when you bring the front end down at ANY speed after a wheelie, dont even think about giving a little extra throttle out of a fast turn!

Mr.Joshua

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My apollogies to all that were interested in this subject for taking so long to post the contents of the fax.
After reading it, I realised it was not an article, but a report, and was published in issue nº8. Also, there is no recall.
It says that Norbert Schmitt, a 50 year old german rider, was testing a CBR99RR/02 and crashed at around 150 km/h on german autobahn (highway) nº 5. The handlebars begun to vibrate and soon he could not control the bike, crashing.
Consequently, Honda Germany sent a circular letter together with a recommentation letter to all of their dealers asking them to notify blade owners "recommending a most careful riding manner when they go over 200Km/h." Honda Germany seems to be working very hard to find out a quick solution for this problem.
The report also mentioned that "Honda Spain supplied a steering damper for new tire test with Continental Forcemax".

Was that just a single faulty machine? I hope so. No problems with mine, at least until now. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe I'm an idiot, but that sounds more like severe headshake than anything. I say it's rider error. To me that report just recommends a steering dampner.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree, and hope that we are right. And I already have a Hyperpro ordered. The bike's handling is very good, but it needs a dampner desperatly! It should be standard, like gixxer's.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Fraga, be careful with that Hyperpro. Call it bad luck, but a buddy of mine has one on his R6 and for whatever reasons, he had to replace it 3 times last summer because they broke. Mind you, he's never gone down on that bike so I know it's accident realted. Luckily, the Hyperpro is 100% guaranteed so he didn't have to pay for the new ones. At worst, he was without a dampner while he waited for the replacement to arrive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking about the hyperpro because it's one of the few that doesn't require drilling. Do you know any others?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a Scotts damper and there was absolutely no drilling. All you'll need is a set of Allen wrenches (which you can pick up for a buck or two) and socket wrench (about 33mm I think) to remove the steering head bolt (which will be replaced by the damper's mounting bracket). You'll also need to remove the two bolts in the front of your gas tank, but that's about it. If you have the right tools, it won't take more than 30 min to install from start to finish.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I though the Scotts required drilling. The problem is I don't think they are sold here in Portugal. I will try to find out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts