Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal. My 929 had a plastic sounding rattle around 3 to 5K rpms, that sounded like it was coming from under the gas tank. Noticed my 954 today is developing a very noticable similar but louder rattle sound at those same rpms?? What is up? Did Honda try to save some money by buying Suzuki parts?

Again, I'm a serious Honda lover, but there no way this bike should have this noise with only 400 miles on it...or ever for that matter.

P.S. It's not the windscreen that I've seen people talking about, I tried holding it still and the noise is still there, coming from the center of the bike, like the airbox.

When you see flashing lights...drop two and go!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I asked around about it when it happened on my 929, I had a few people say it was the HTEV. This is louder and more annoying, but it sounds similar.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's either the flapper in the airbox, or the HTEV valve. The one on the 954 is somewhat louder than the 929's for some reason. Get a slipon and you'll have no worries /images/icons/laugh.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
VFRs are known for the flapper valve making noise and info has been posted on the VFR mailing list (http://search.cs.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/htsearch).

To summarize:

A VFR's flapper valve should operate only @ 5K rpm. 954 may differ. In cases where it was flapping at other rpms (off idle, only on the power, while shifting, etc.) in nearly all the cases it was a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. The most common occurence was the vacuum line to the flapper valve solenoid. There was speculation that it could have been an ECU incorrectly sending the signal to flap at the wrong rpm.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~lists/archive/vfr/200202/msg02110.html

This doesn't mean that the flapper valve is causing your noise... or that I know what I'm talking about.

Hav

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about just removing the damn flapper valve? Will it hurt performance or is it just there to keep the bike enviromentally friendly. My bike did not make this noise the first 300 miles, but now it's loud and annoying at 400? I gues it could be a vacuum leak like on the VFR, but I'm not to happy about working on a Brand new bike...especaially a Honda. I mean if it was a Suzuki, I could see a engine and trans rebuild.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Wasn't paying attention that you only had 400 miles on it. I would wait a bit to see if breaking the engine in fixes the problem.... after that take it to the dealer and have them look at it. I had front brake squeak after 2 months (sure, I had 6000 miles by then but hey...) and the dealer disassembled the brakes, cleaned out all the brake dust & de-glazed (scraped on the ground) my brake pads. Since it's a new bike it didn't cost me a dime. You might want to CYA by mentioning it to them now and asking if they know of any issues.

I'm not mechanically inclined so I can't tell you about the performance ramifications of taking out the flapper valve.

Hav

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update. Rode the '54 home from work yesterday and it was still making the noise. About half way home (it's a 60 mile commute) it started to go away. Riding in this morning it was almost gone. Maybe I paniced for nothing, could have just had a piece of that Ducati I ate on the way in yesterday stuck in the flapper valve?

Oh well, hoepfully she stays quiet from now on. I just love this bike! Even more than the 929.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Most likely your fuel injectors are ticking...completely normal. My old man's 929 does the same thing. It's nothing to worry about...but it is a little bit unnerving.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You constantly rip on other bikes while your bike is making all kinds of funny noises which it shouldn't probably be making. What's the matter...don't you have faith in your beloved Honda/images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/smile.gif! Just givin' the sh-t right back to ya so don't get all hissy. It's all good.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jmoney: I can dish and take, but I have to say that my 954 rattles while it is RUNNING! I hear Gixxer owners complaining about a ticking noise from the front end...I say it's the sound of their shoes hitting the pavement as they PUSH their bikes home!

If I had a nickel for every I either saw or helped someone push start an off-brand bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Further diagnosis of my problem has narrow the rattle down to somewhere in the front fairing, seemingly behind the gauge cluster. When I pull up on the windscreen it stops, so something is rubbing/tapping as a result of engine vibration.

I'll check it out more this weekend when I have more time. Probably end up finding a loose fastner with Gixxer stamped on it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
in reply to:

I'll check it out more this weekend when I have more time. Probably end up finding a loose fastner with Gixxer stamped on it.

Yeah that's probably cuz Honda spends all their money on advertising to the mags to get a good review for the lack of power that they needed Suzuki parts to finish their bikes./images/icons/laugh.gif/images/icons/smile.gif!!!j/k

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also love Honda motorcycles and surely love the 954. But, you joked about Honda saving money buying Suzuki parts. I own a 01 GSXR 1000 and do not hear funny noises. This is my first Suzuki and I have to say that I am very very satisfied.

·
Registered
405 Posts
A lot or F4I had to change out the CCT (cam chain tens.) I had that done. Could that be it? Sounds like a tin can.

If you can read this, the Bitchhh just passed you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just yesterday I had a rattle start on my 954 that sounds exactly how you described it. like a hollow plastic rattle coming from behind the instrument cluster or headlight assembly. I thought it was some kind of intake noise at first. If I bend the corner of the windscreen up a little it goes away. It starts at around 3500 rpm. I rode about a hundred miles, and by the end of the day the rattle was more frequent, as if something was loosening up gradually. I stuck my hand down around the instrument cluster, and I couldn't find out what it was. If it keeps up, I think the only thing to do is take the fairings off and try to figure it out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm gonna make it anyway. Why don't you guys take your 954s to your dealers to have them checked. That's what I would/will do if mine develops the same problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts