Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ..this cover that sticks out of the 2001 929 LEFT side.. is it an alternator cover??

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
My bad - I was bass ackwards. That must be the alternator.
/images/icons/blush.gif sorry... /images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
698 Posts
The right side (if you are sitting on the bike) is the crankcase cover, the left side (which you circled) is the altenator cover.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've never seen the clutch on the left side, but maybe they've redesigned things for the 929...every other bike I've seen, that cover is the stator/alternater cover. It also houses the starter gear which connects to the starter motor.

<font color=red>follow the leader..."he's on a honda, mine!"</font color=red>

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The tranny actually runs thru the center of the bike, like the cams and crank shafts...the shifter lever is on the left footpeg. If you squeeze your clutch, you'll notice on the right side, a cable on top of the clutch assembly moves in conjunction with the clutch lever. That's a sure fire way to know that the clutch is on the right side.

<font color=red>follow the leader..."he's on a honda, mine!"</font color=red>

·
Registered
347 Posts
They call it the alternator cover. I hope you don't need one. I ground mine down and all the oil ran out. Yup, it hurt. :(

"One good turn deserves another"

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
On Honda motorcycles, 9 times out of 10 the left side cover will be the alternator. The only exceptions I'm aware of are the CX500/650's, the ST1100, and the various flat-motor GL series, all of which have the engine going long-ways.

Just by way of clarification...I look at these silly things all day long.

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
990 Posts
pukilupukster, Last time I checked the stator/ alternator did not have oil in it. I also believe that no one noticed that the paint on that bike is that of a 2000, the 2001 was a black front end and tank with just a splash of yellow.

Mr.Joshua

1 - 13 of 13 Posts