Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my Erion can and K&N filter on pretty much as soon as I bought my bike, so I don't have much experience with a stocker's mileage. How far can the rest of you 929 guys go on a full tank before the 'low fuel' light goes on? Combo of freeway and twisies.

Mine lit up after 85 miles last weekend. Obviously, I'm running pretty rich, but a buddy says he can get closer to 150! Can there actually be that much difference??

I just ordered a PCIII to remap things, but I think new plugs are in my near future too /images/icons/mad.gif ... What else should I consider cleaning/replacing after ~2500 miles of super-rich operation?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I recently put on 140 miles before the light came on. I usually fill up at 100 though and it hasn't gone on but that one time.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
My light almost always comes on around 110 miles. If I ride only twisties, I have gone as far as 165 miles. I'm not sure why I get better mileage riding twisties. Must be the difference in wind resistance or something.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
85, miles then the fuel light comes on!

<font color=red>RAMAIR & SERPENT EQUIP!!!</font color=red>/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
835 Posts
About 100-110 miles and then the light. I've never gotten better gas milage in the twisties. BTW, my 01 929 is stock.

Later,
Rob
<font color=red>Follow the leader, "He's on a HONDA!"</font color=red>

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Yup, I get better mileage in twisties, even though RPM's are way higher and I'm on the throttle a lot more. I don't know if it makes a difference that normal freeway speed is at least 90MPH.

·
Registered
883 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

normal freeway speed is at least 90MPH.

<hr></blockquote>

/images/icons/laugh.gifthat would make a difference/images/icons/laugh.gif

Plus, as everyone knows, "it's the rider not the bike." Old people just get lousy gas milage./images/icons/laugh.gif

btw, my F4 is not too far off what you guys are mostly getting on the '29. 120 to 130 before the light comes on.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nah, that's just a leftover myth from when bikes were to slow to make the shape more important than the weight. Fat guys get better gas mileage because they fill in the areas of turbulance behind the bike, making it much better aerodynamically. - don't be hurt, I'm older than you. Heck, I'm older than dirt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I get about 140 also. I just have a Jardine Can. But it didnt change even when I put that on. Ive gone 25 miles with the light on....Is that pushing it or what?

when my butt gets numb from riding I just stretch, Stand-up and do a nice long wheelie!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmmm, 85 to 150 miles on a tank, with all manner of mods to the various bikes. This is vaguely disturbing... Can there really be that much near-random variation??? I'd say I got so little mileage last weekend B/C I headed up to the twisties at ~120+ MPH, but so did my buddy, who got 150 miles out of his /images/icons/crazy.gif .

I'm so confused.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Bill, yours seems to be running rich, if I remember right? Then the old gas milage is going out the pipe!

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
BRBJackson~ Well, on my RR I usually get 100-110 miles before I have to switch to reserve. Of course this varies on how I'm riding but I didn't buy a bike for gas mileage. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
17 Posts
My '01 929RR is all stock and I get about 150 miles from the full tank before the light comes on. Once, I did notice about 162 miles. My riding is a mix of highway and twisties. I have done about 25 miles after the amber fuel light came on.

Aravind

Aravind
[email protected]
'01 CBR929RR, Black/Yellow

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
Worst: 80mi (120km)
Average: 100-110mi (160-175km)
Best: 130mi (210km)

My bike isn't really the greatest example - I love to hear the revs (ride at 9500)

======
-Rob.
"Do you know what 'the world' is to me? Shall I show it to you in my mirror?"

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I ride around 3000-6000 RPM. This thing has more than enough torque to pull out of the corners plus I am still not use to the power. This thing has WAY more power than my F3 and I mean WAY more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts