Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'92 900SS - worth getting?

Hey Duc-people /images/icons/smile.gif

I've got an opportunity to get a '92 (I think..don't remember) 900SS...the owner wants to do a trade for my '01 CR250 motard. The bike is setup as a track bike, but he has all the street kit. It's got some nice mods, including a shotgun Arrow full exhaust, Sebimoto carbon fairings, FCR carbs, and one of those rim-brake wheel/caliper setups. Very trick, and clean. I want a v-twin in the worst way, and this sorta fell into my lap. I love my motard, but it's a little bitch on the street (2-stroke), and I am unable to attend race/trackdays as much as I'd like. I also don't ride in the dirt, since doing so is inviting arrest around these parts.

So, anything good/bad to say about that era 900SS?

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: \'92 900SS - worth getting?

Here's a pic of the bike in track getup...

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts

Very cool! I can't comment on it since my knowledge is only around the current models and even that is severly limited. /images/icons/wink.gif I'm sure you will get the answers you want from some of the others here shortly. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks Duc... I'm surfing google looking for more info, and so far it looks very enticing. Who knows, I might show up in June on a Ducati! /images/icons/smile.gif

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

nominal,
Those are very nice bikes. That motor with the FCR's rock!! Do you know if it has the two seperate carbs or the two in one bank? A chronic problem with the earlier SS's is thier charging system. It kinda sucked... I think there was an aftermarket rectifier that cured the problem, tho. I bet Pimmie has more info on that than I do....

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It's got FCR41's in one bank... The owner is a coworker of mine who's a Ducati mechanic, so it's been well looked after. I think Electrex is the company that makes the improved rectifiers...the bike has one on it.

-nominal_squid-
SMUSA #11

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts

I had a '94 Superlight (900Sl) before my current '01 748S, it's a great bike which will surprise a lot of powerfull bikes if ridden properly. The rectifier problem was indeed solved with aftermarket rectifiers, among others Electrex. Mine never had a problem with it though.
Once the ground clearance problem is solved with higher rearsets and tucking the exhaust under the bike, it's a hell of a bike! Go for it! If I had enough money I would have kept my Superlight....

I like the rim mounted brake!!!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts