Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I change the oil in my 2001 ZX7R, I am only putting 3 qts in when it shows full in the site window. The stamp on the bike says it holds 3.6 liters, which should be about 3.8 qts. Why the difference? I run the bike, drain oil and filter. Any theories??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you measureing while on the pit bull stand if so it'll show a little higher? Also the filter should hold some of that 3.8 qts. although I'm assumeing you ran the bike to let oil run through the filter

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I change oil in my 7R, it's usually on front and rear stands. Typically I'll dump in 3 quarts (I use Golden Spectro 10w-30). Crank the bike and let it run for about a minute. Shut it down and leave it alone for 20 or so minutes...to let the oil seap and settle. Then I'll add enough of the 4th quart of oil to get the level just below the 'full' hash mark next to the oil window.

I don't even try to guess-timate 3.6 litres...

<font color=red>http://www.GEORGIASPORTBIKE.com</font color=red>

·
Registered
883 Posts
The owners manual for my F4 gives 3 oil quatities.
1) total amount it holds
2) amount to add when changing the oil and filter
3) amount to add when changing the oil without the filter
Your manual probably just doesn't go into as much detail. Use the sight glass and everything will be fine.
The total amount it holds will be higher than the amount you add when changing the oil and filter because there will ALWAYS be some oil left in the engine unless you do a complete engine teardown. There are lots of tiny little places that catch oil and won't let it drain out, plus, some just sticks to all the surfaces. This can add up to quite a lot more than you would think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts