Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found an ad for a 748R. He wants $13,500. I know that it is not street legal but, I have heard people getting them tagged. Is this true and how good is it as a street going bike? I heard a rumor that you have to take down the engine after 2500 miles, is that true? I have been looking for a Ducati for the last year and I'm real close to getting one. Hopefully by the end of the summer. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They are easy to get licensed on the street. Most buyers do that. You don't need to tear down the motor every 2,500 miles. You're thinking about the 748RS, which is the Ducati Corse customer race bike. Completely different animal from the 748R. The 748R just has better fuel injection, slipper clutch, ti-rods, maybe hi-comp pistons, race cans but nothing that requires a tear-down.

·
Registered
648 Posts
umm replacing the clutch plates wouldnt require a tear down, u'd just have to open the side cover and replace it with a new one. Or however a slipper clutch is serivced. Even valve clearance adjustment; that needs to be done at the end of almost every race weekend doesnt require a tear down.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Would you guys recommend getting a 748R and making it street legal, or would it be way to exspensive. It will be my only bike. I mostly street ride but plan on a few track days. I have found a new 01 for $11,300. Do you think it is worth it?

·
E-Tard
11,817 Posts
Here is what my 748 (standard) cost me: I would think that the "R" would run you a lot more for the parts. I know that spark plugs for the "R" cost a FORTUNE!Click here

·
Registered
355 Posts
Zoey, I see on your list that you purchased a CF front hugger for $110.00. Is that an used one or did you get it new at that bargin price?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts