Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after only 75 miles on my 01 748 i have just found a puddle of oil in the garage it is dripping down off of the kickstand i removed both side panels and there is only oil on the left side on the inside fairing, i have been up and down the bike even had a mirror out but i cant find any signs of the leak. any ideas? is there a oil overflow hose there?

even your garage door goes up and down a little faster with a ZX7R inside.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I dunno... are you sure its oil? There is a hose near the bottom for coolant overflow... is it coolant? Is the oil fill cap on in place (I think its on the rightside of the body)?

Maybe the oil cap wasnt on tight and came off would be my guess... an open cap, running engine and oil spurts out the top of it, drains to the left and down the kickstand when the bike is parked... stand the bike up and check your oil level.

That's about all I can think of... did you call your dealership?

If it is oil leaking out from the cap, or regardless from where ever... youre lucky you didnt spin the rear tire out while riding!

M.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it sprayed all over my rear tire and brake rotor!!
ok here is where the oil is coming from, the shaft that comes out of the crankcase your shift lever attaches to, it sprays out in a fine mist, i had to start the bike and hold a piece of paper up to it and then i seen the oil hitting it. its such a fine mist its hard to see, but it collects on the shift linkage and drips down on to the kickstand, while also spraying the inside of the fairing. i did call one local dealership and he said he was backed up and it would be at least a week and a half before he looked at it, the other one that is close (both are over a hour away) was closed so i am going to call them monday. The good news is that i found this before the oil level got low. im just glad i went on a short ride today and didnt get stranded anywhere!!!!

·
eClogs
8,998 Posts
This is a new one, I never heard of it leaking there...
Mine developed a leak at the oil sensor on the right side of the engine (next to the oil filler), which worked its way loose. After retightening an applying some Locktite it didn't gave me trouble since....

Be afraid, be very afraid!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sounds like it may be the slave cylinder. Ducati has a recall on them, I will be getting my repaced next week.

I've been down but I ain't out!!!

·
Premium Member
38,149 Posts
Reading Putza's post...the fluid you are seeing in the fairing could be mistaken for oil since all Ducs seem to get that black coloration to the clutch fluid. Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man as much fluid that has leaked out of there guys my clutch resevoir would be empty i think, and it hasnt moved, plus from the smell of it id bet my left nut that it is oil. its not dark, its a real light brown like new oil. im going to take it to a dealership monday right after lunch, im going to take a vacation day for this. i hope they can fix it pretty quick and without much hassle, this is surely is covered in my warranty. im a little worried this is my third new bike and i have nver had trouble before, i hope this isnt a sign of things to come!! thanks guys

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'm with Putza on this one... It's gotta be the slave cylinder. I don't think there's enough oil pressure at idle (I'm guessing you did the oil on paper test at idle, right?) to push past a seal and make a fine mist.... I could be wrong tho...

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Check the fittings on your oil cooler. I had a similar incident happen with my 996 after only about 150 miles except it coated my entire rear wheel and almost caused a wreck.

If I'm shootin at ya and ya stay still, your probably safe.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no i had to rev the engine up to about 2,500 rpm to get it to start leaking, im not saying it isnt the slave cyl. i know there has been problems with them, but why would this fluid be coming out around the shaft your shift linkage attaches to, if im not mistaken the slave cyl. is above that right? i just got done double checking and its dry as a bone. i think its the seal around that shaft, like monster j. said thats why it was so hard to find, there wasnt enough oil pressure at idle to blow past the seal thats why i never noticed it when i was warming up the bike, i wish i had a digital camera to take some pics and show you guys its really hard to expalin i guess a picture is worth a thousand words!! well im going to put the fairng back on and load it in my truck in a minute. I cant ride it to the dealership because it sprays oil all over my back tire!! i should have some news monday i will tell you guys what happens, wish me luck! the part i need will probally take 3 months to get here!! thank you for the advice its great having people to help a new duc boy out!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
well it's monday... any news on that seal...?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i got back from commonwealth motorcycles of louisville ky. and they confirmed that oil was blowing past the seal around the shaft the shift linkage hooks to. I also called the dealership in chicago where i bought my bike and they verified that the recall work on the slave cyl. was done. Commonwealth didnt have the part ( but who would i have never heard of any thing like this happening on any new bike regardless of make, hell even harleys!! j.k.) but said it would probally be two weeks before it was in and they got to it with the spring rush. that seemed pretty reasonable because they had a lot of bikes in there in front of me. Thanks for the help guys. C. Catt

Ducati......... not just a motorcycle.......its a way of life!!!!

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
well if you want to expedite things...? i'd be willing to bet "dollars to donuts" that jeff nash at AMS ducati in texas have the parts... :)

at any rate... remember that name... it may not "seem" important now...? but you might see more clearly... if in two weeks time, they still don't have the necessary parts...? not to say definitively, that will be the case; but ducat N.A. has a track record of sometimes "adding insult to injury" if you know what i mean... :(

albeit, a sometimes... AGGRAVATING WAY OF LIFE, if your one of the unlucky blokes who happen to get saddled with one of their "assembled late friday afternoon" examples... :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you, if this does end up dragging on ill give him a call to get the parts. and you are correct this is aggravating especally when you consider i have only owned my duc for les than two weeks!! i hope this is a fluke and not a sign of the kind of luck im going to be having!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I hope that it is a fluke. Mine was, at least for the 5000 plus miles that I had it after the oil cooler line incident I had ZERO trouble. The 996 is missed now though/images/icons/frown.gif.

If I'm shootin at ya and ya stay still, your probably safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts