Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM LOOKING INTO DOING A 9R CONVERSION IN MY 1998 ZX-7R. IS THIS GOING TO BE A HEADACHE OR IS IT RELATIVELY EASY. ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
from what other's on here have said... it's not possible to swap a C1 motor to a '7r. only the previous generation 7r and 9r's swap because 9's motor was just a "stroked" version of the 7's.

also note, i once owned '98 9r so i tend to believe 'em. it's so wide, that thing looks almost "air-cooled". LOL now that's not to say it's "impossible", but just to say it wouldn't be easy... :( '98 was the first year of the change from the "B" chassis to basically the current design of the '02 (it may even be considerd "D" by now?). the 7r however has yet to change since... what... '96...?

it's probably going to be any easier (a relative term here) proposition to just do the bore kit that brings the displacement up to and around that of 9. i made a post a while back (before the boards crashed) where i had checked into the maximum displacement possible for both the current 7 and the 9. i forget now (arrrgggh), but i think there's a billet cylinder and head kit that'll get a max of 940cc's out of that mill...? someone correct me if i'm wrong...

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
could you post a more direct link...? i'm unfamaliar with that site and unfortunately... i don't see a "search" function... :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you goto the tech questions and near the bottom of list there a forum with motor conversion zx7/9 dated 2/06. someone tells you step by step what he did for the swap. I cant link direct to that forum for some reason. Also, where in NY are you. I ride with a few in LI crew.

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
cool... thanx... .. btw, hahahahahaha... i like brg's slogan... "a sickness for quickness"...!!! :)

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
i'm in NJ actually... not NY... south jersey to be exact... about a 1/2hr south of trenton/princeton on 295 or exit 5 off the tpke.

yeah, i'm going to read that forum when i get back in. i wanna see if they have any trouble fitting that wide ass motor under the 7's fairings...?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

could you post a more direct link...? i'm unfamaliar with that site and unfortunately... i don't see a "search" function... :(

<hr></blockquote>

Shamar1, www.evilracing.com is a website for ZX7r owners! /images/icons/cool.gif
It's been around since '94 when I first joined up! Theres a tech section in there concerning the swap.

Muzzy7r98, your bike will accept a '94-'97 ZX9R motor with a few adjustments made like a motor mount adapter and replacement cover for the oil pump on the 9's motor. You have to change the cover for it sticks out beyond the frame.

I will email you the address for the site which offers the kit when I locate it, the kit for the conversion costs around $800 but is supposed to be worth it! /images/icons/cool.gif

Daffy

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did a quick eyeball measurement and it looks like the 00/01 9R motor is too wide for the 96-up 7R chassis. Not to mention that none of the motor mount bolts are even close. Has anybody tried this swap other than my eyeball method?

·
eCancelChristmas
13,805 Posts
yeah, that was my observation too. i even sat on a 9 that was sitting next to a 7 at a local dealer the other day, but muzzy7 seems to certainly have evidence to the contrary... NIIICCCEE...!!! i wonder where he was with those links when a few of us engaged in this topic a month or two ago before the boards crashed... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts