Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should the suspension settings be on a 99 6R? I was just curious because my bike is still on the factory settings and when i get down in a turn the rear kinda wiggles around so i let off. I cant get the bike to the edge of the tire w/out it wiggling(it scares the $h!t out of me when it does that).i got like another 1/2" to go on the tire but cant get it. any help would be great. i dont know if its the tire or the susp. i think the susp. because i know alot of people w/ bt 56 ss and they are to the edge. one of my friends said my susp. is too soft. 5 lines showing on the front but i didnt measure the rear.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
883 Posts
This question was asked in the Tech forum earlier today.
Waverave gave an excellent, clear, basic, concise answer:
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Try my how-to...

http://u2.netgate.net/~waverave/staticsag.html

<hr></blockquote>

Aside from the sag settings, you are likly to need to raise both the compression and rebound damping, but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't have 99 settings, but here are the stock and revised settings for 2000 - 2001 J1/J2 ZX6R as published in Performance Bike Magazine 03/2001.

Stock Rear: Preload: spring length set at 180mm
Rebound: ten clicks out from full-in
Compression: ten clicks out from full-in
Ride Height: zero

Stock Front: Preload: 14mm showing
Rebound: 7 clicks out from full-in
Compression: 9 clicks out from full-in

Performance Bike Setting Rear: Preload: Same as stock if you weight around 180 lbs or more. If you weight less set to 186mm.
Rebound: 7 clicks out from
full-in
Compression: 8 clicks out
from full-in
Ride Height: +8mm
Performance Bike Setting frt: Preload: 4 lines showing
Rebound: 4 clicks out from
full in
Compression: 6 clicks out
from full in

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just a quick check before you adjust the suspension -- have you played with tire pressure? If I go up 2 or 3 psi (about 10%) above Kawi recommended pressures the bike feels much better planted. At stock pressures, I get the same wiggle. Get a good guage or at least a consistent one before you start playing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
How much do you way? What tire and what size are you running? I stuck with the Dunlop 207/180's, and I use all of my tire without any "wiggle".
Make sure your rear axle is exactly the same from the end of your swingarm. Also, like mentioned above, refer to your owners manual for adjusting your preload, dampening, and rebound adjustments.
Something doesn't sound right with your bike.
Good Luck /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'll try to remember mine from the top of my head... I have a 98 and nothing really changed between 98 to 99 so these settings should work with you. Front 4 or 5 lines preload showing, rebound 5 clicks out, compression 7 clicks out. Rear sag 28mm, rebound 1 click out, compression 3 clicks. I use these settings with a 120-65 front tire and a 180-55. I scrub in both front and rear tires to the edges. The most planted feeling comes from a 120-70 180-55 tire combo. Race tires offer more grip but don't feel as stable in a straight line.

98 Ninja ZX-6R
99 Yamaha Banshee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts