Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma. I need a 6000 mile service on my 2000 996. Is this service worth getting? The service people at Ducati quoted me $600-$700. Anyone have any experiences or ideas they can shoot my way. I'd gladly appreciate anything.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The 6000 service is very important because it is the 1st time the valves are done. It costs more to maintain the 4 valve ducs than the 2 valves. Your quote sounds accurate. I had mine done last fall on my 996 for about the same amount.

·
Registered
56 Posts
doing this service is the most important thing you can do to your motorcycle. improper valve timing can throw off your cams which can lead to alot of damage. i believe the valve adjustments use slims if they need adjusting, which you have remove the whole valve train. don't forget about ure belts!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You bought a $17,000 dollar bike and you're wondering whether or not to get it serviced?

What? No! We can't stop here! This is bat country!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not whether I want to get it serviced or not, but was wondering if there was a cheaper way of going about it. I mean, what does the 6000 mile service really entail. Are you mostly paying for the valve adjustments or other things. If the other things are pretty trivial, I could do them myself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
$600 to $700? I paid $328 with tax for my first 6000 mile service with 2 valves out of spec. Either they are quoting you on the high side or jack'n with ya.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
You're getting raped if you pay the $600 they're asking. Take your bike to a different dealer. You're bio says you're in Seattle... did you get that quote from Seattle Ducati? I've heard good things about those guys, but if you got that quote from them that's absurd. You can order the video, tools, shims, and belts for well under half that and do it yourself. If you follow the video, ya can't go wrong. For your first time, it might take you a weekend to do. Hell, for 600 bones, you could ship it to me in CA and I'll do it and it would still be cheaper!!

James Nunez
Monster Hooligan
http://www.motowheels.com
Sacto, CA

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, that's why I flipped out when Ducati Seattle quoted me that much. I really do feel like I'm getting raped and then kicked in the balls. I actually ended up calling a different Ducati dealership near Seattle in Bellevue and they want the same amount. I hear the shop in Bellevue isn't as good as the one in Seattle. I think I need to move to Wisconsin. Sounds like they have good deals on service.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I've been quoted the same $600-700 for the 6000mile service in both Augusta and Athens Georgia.

You think that's expensive for a Duck, well let me tell ya, I was toying with the idea of buying a used Ferrari 348... wanna know why there's so many for sale with 26-28K miles? That's because the 30,000mile service costs about $10-12,000 bucks! F That! I'm gonna buy a viper someday instead!

M.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I feel a little better now. I don't feel like I'm totally getting raped. At least others are paying the same amount as me in different parts of the country.

10-12K for a ferrari tune-up. I can believe that. One of my friends works at a dealership and it costs about that much for a simple tune-up on a lamborghini. One guy came in, gave all the receptionist $100 and told them to go buy themselves lunch. Some people just have way too much money. Why couldn't I be blessed like that.

G

·
I purchased my 748 at Ducati of Seattle, but recommend Eastside Motosports in Bellevue, WA for servicing, because their service is top notch and prices are reasonable. I also recommend a specific mechanic, Mike Castro, who is highly skilled and honest.

"Viva Ducatisti" /images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts