Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to ride a GSXR600 last night (thanks to a very gracious and beautiful young lady) and was very impressed with the power (we got it up to 150 "two-up" with very little effort) but the handling felt a little strange to me. I didn't take corners quickly because this wasn't my bike and it was the first time I had ridden a Suzuki. But just cruising around, the turning felt really slow. I am used to my Honda F4 and the Suzuki felt like it would need alot of counter-steering to get it to "really" turn. My Honda turns effortlessly without counter-steering (just with a little body movement it turns). Take into account that I have only been riding for about a year and a half so I really don't know jack-shite. The riding position on the Suzuki is much different also. I like the low and back feeling of my Honda. On the Suzuki I felt like I was too far forward and too high. It made the bike feel real small. The handle bar position is also much different - this may be the turning difference???
Anyways I was very impressed with the bike overall and am sure if I buy a Suzuki I will eventually get used to its different handling. My main question is - Is the 750 GSXR basically the same bike with just a bigger engine? Same seating position? Same road feel?
And I need to thank the owner one more time.....Thank You/images/icons/smile.gif....Suzuki owners are pretty cool!

·
More bikes than brains
5,319 Posts
yes, yes we are pretty cool. But funny you should ask this question, I am currently in the process of choosing between a GSXR600, GSXR 750, and R6

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I might as well kiss a little ass because If I ever do make the switch to Suzuki I would want to be welcomed into this illustrious circle!

kman can you make a "smiley face kissing ass" icon?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I think the reason the GSXR felt like it had heavier steering is due to the steering dampener.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
More bikes than brains
5,319 Posts
I heard the stock dampener on the 750 is a piece of chit, it that true? I mean compared to your $400 + aftermarket SCotts and Hyperpros

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
It's no AS GOOD - But it does the job and is DEFINITELY adequate for "street" riding. Aftermarket allows for more flexibility in adjusting the damping to suit your preferences.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Awww the Gixxer ... Yes SpaZ ... The young lady who let you rail her bike last night must be a wonderful trusting person ............. BUT SLOW DOWN !!!!!!!! Geeeeze -ist christ .... 150 is just over doing it damn it !!!!
I know you couldnt help yourself with that big strong Gixxer between you .. I know you loved it ... I can just feel the love simmering off you ..... AAWwww Hail to Gixxers .../images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yes Its very different from your bike .. but you'll love it once you ride it alittle more ... You have to become one with the gixxer you cant just hop on it and have an instant connection after riding your Honda for so long ...
... You have to become ONE with Suzuki SpaZ ....

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
she told me to "MASH" out on Irvine street because there were no cops around. I am white and old so I am not up on this hip street talk - I thought she meant to "HAUL ASS"!
and I did! hehe/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That's funny that you say it feels small, because most riders who don't ride gixxers, say they feel to big. And yes, it feels like it turns slow at a slow pace becasue of the SD. But it also turns better and feels much more stable at higher speeds then the others IMO.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
jmoney...i feel the same way. i feel freaked when im at high speed on an R6. i think it has to do with the whell base too.

that and the R6 feeling so damn light but on paper it's heavier than the gixxer.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jmoney - I think it feels small to me because I am up over the tank and the front of the bike feels like it is right below me - kinda as if it would have a shorter wheelbase. Thats prob. not the case though. I would just have to get used to the riding position I guess.
I have read alot about them and most people usually say they are better than the F4 for track use but the F4 is better for all around use - i.e. more comfortable on semi-long road trips. hmmmm decisions decisions

Anyways back to my original question - is the 750 basically the same bike as the 600GSXR but with just a bigger motor?

RN - do you think this cute young lady will ever forgive me for flogging her precious Gixxer like that? I think I may have to take her some gixxer-jello to make amends./images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 37 Posts