1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the diff between a 49 state bike and
the others?
I know that the other state is CALI :-D
I heard that the gas tank is smaller on a 49 state bike.
Is this true and what other things are diff.

THX
-McBride61

RIDE IT LIKE U STOLE IT!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
As I understand it, the main differences for most motorcycles that have a 49 states and a California version, is that the CA version is usually leaned out jetting wise in order to make emissions standards. ALl of them have a basic collection of CA emissions related hardware like the carbon cannister, and some (like the R6) have other differences like different cam designs.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
CA bike was designed to pass CA emissions and has paperwork saying so. That paperwork is important -- for a car, I think it costs $400 to register a 49-state car in CA no matter how clean it burns. Sometimes the difference between a 49 state vehicle and a CA vehicle is just the paperwork. Honda says Goldwing for example meets emissions in all states without any changes to the bike.

My Saturn car is a CA car that I bought in MD (I knew I was moving out here). According to Saturn, the car is the same EXCEPT for the sticker under the hood stating it is a CA car. CA emissions was a $0 option. Other cars are different in CA than other states. Mitsubishi states in their ads that the Galant has 1 or 2 less horsepower in CA than a 49 state car.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My F3 is a CA bike...well, it was. I put the Honda 49-state cams in it and took off all the emissions stuff and squeezed a few horsepower out of it.

Objects in mirror are RAPIDLY getting SMALLER!
'98 Smokin Joe F3 - Miguel Duhamel rocks!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Shoot when I took all the emmisions crap off my bike, it was closer to 15 pounds.

Objects in mirror are RAPIDLY getting SMALLER!
'98 Smokin Joe F3 - Miguel Duhamel rocks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here';s a picture of the emmissions stuff that was removed from an R-6. (It's not mine, but I did find it interesting).

And from the little that I know, here's a few tid-bits:

1) The DEALERS are required to sell the California bikes equipped with all this emmissions stuff. (That's THEIR responsibility)!! But what the end-user does, well...that's on the end-user. But you're LEGALLY supposed to keep it on. (But how can they possibly enforce/check this? You see, there's no smog testing in Caliornia)?

2) Removal of the emmissions stuff will definately lighten your bike by AT LEAST 8 pounds. (And they say that every 6 pounds saved is equivelant to 1 extra horsepower).

3) By removing your emmissions stuff, you will squeeze-out an extra 3 to 5 horsepower. (At least that's what I've heard).

4) You can find someone to do the work of removing the stuff for about $100.00.

5) I'll be removing my CA emmissions stuff this weekend.

I found someone who'll remove my emmissions stuff (and use the Two Bros. plate instead of welding it)...swap-out my front sprocket...and dyno test it for $120.00.

But TECHNICALLY, they're NOT REMOVING the emmissions...they're RE-ROUTING it. (Hey, that's what he told me).

If you know more than this, PLEASE enlighten us!!!

In Christ: Raymond

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The gas tanks are different, the CA models have a vapor recovery POS that makes them a beatch to fill up, my 929 is a Texas model and the you can see all around the gas tank opening, the CA model has a vapor sleeve. Man I had just forgot about it on my new TL and now this was brought up I am going to be ranting about it again for another month!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts