Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from another site... More rumours but there seems to be an air of believability with this...

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Photo of the 2003 Blackbird. The next year's Blackbird will have a new 1200 cc engine and also VTEC like the 2002 VFR. An anti lock brake system is also an option for the new 2003 Blackbird. It will be introduced in September during the InterMot in Munich (Germany).
Source: MOTOR (Dutch motorcycle magazine , issue 7/2002)

<hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My personal opinion, I think they will ignore what the bike really needs... Yes it could use more power but I think it needs a bit of a diet more and a fully adjustable suspension before it should be considered to go against the 'busa and 12R.

Take away about 20lbs, fully adjustable suspension and a bit more cornering clearance and I'll be buying that for sure. 155rwhp would be nice also. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
eNVisible
15,777 Posts
Ian~ I'll wait and see what <font color=red>Honda</font color=red> comes up with. Although the Blackbird has it's limitations, it's still a great bike and for the most part does it's designed job extremely well.
VTL~ Perhaps you should write <font color=red>Honda</font color=red> a letter/email stating that fact:

Dear Honda,

I currently own a VFR and am unhappy with the suspension settings. Please upgrade it or die.

Sincerly yours,
VTL1180NY

/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
770 Posts
Mirage, that's the greatest letter ever written. Clear, concise, and to the point. I like that. /images/icons/smile.gif

JoBu

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I understand Honda's thoughts on the suspension, but they should look at the other bikes in the class before they go out and design or redesign a bike. Granted when the 'bird was new there was only the ZX-11 out there to set their sites on, considering that they nailed their design... But times have changed and they need to address the competitors...

The 12R and 'busa are sportbikes first and foremost. The 'bird is also but seems to have fallen to the sporttouring roll because Honda did such a great job with the ergos and what not. But if 2 out of the 3 bikes in the class have decent cornering clearances, fully adjustable suspensions and can legitimately be brought out on a track then they need to do something.

I see the need for what they have in the 'bird right now but how many dam sport tourers do they need in their lineup? Are they BMW or something? Keep the ergos of the existing bike, add some quality suspenders with some good travel and tweak the engine that's it. I know they had to sacrifice ground clearance for aerodynamics but the 'busa doesn't seem to have a reputation for scraping it's fairings yet it just as low as the 'bird.

It's still one of only 2 or 3 bikes I will buy next but it sucks I might have to dump a few grand into it to make it what Honda should out of the box.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ian, I agree with much of what you said. I just bought a 954, but probably would have bought a Blackbird if it was competitive with the other big bikes. I am really hoping Honda does a thorough redesign, by lowering the weight and dramatically increasing power. I don't think we need a 200mph bike, but the best 1/4 mile time and more nimble handling would be a real seller.

If the Honda Gods are listening...please do away with the scooter style seat!! It's so 80s. I know it's comfortable for driver and passenger, but it makes the bike look lame and feel like a damn scooter. There it is Baba Son...more power + less weight + new seat + balanced performance = More Market Share!

When you see flashing lights...drop two and go!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I first got into cycles I always had a thing for the Blackbird but I didn't like the seat... And used to spend way to much time looking for cowls and race tails... Now not only do I appreciate the seat but I don't notice it and I like the bike more than when I didn't own... Too look at that is. /images/icons/smile.gif

So I'm saying I was like you but changed my tune when I realized how cool a single seat is for the intended purpose of my 'bird.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts