Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I know all about the changes to the crank, swingarm, and carbs for the 02 ZX9R, just wondering how they translate into real-world performance. Optimally if someone's driven an 01 and an 02 9R. I also heard that the 9R's carbs were prone to some throttle hesitation, wondering if that's been cleared up or if I'll have to dick with my jetting. Also, was the exhaust all-titanium last year, or is that new this year as well?

A friend is also going to be picking up an 02 EX500. Just wondering what the changes are since 01, if any, and what to expect to adjust the ride height and maybe stiffen the suspension.

Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
976 Posts
i cannot compare 01 to 02 (and i realize thats what you are asking), but i experienced throttle hesitation once........then i switched to reserve. /images/icons/wink.gif

seriously though, my '02 doesnt seem to hesitate at all except for maybe VERY low rpm's (1500).

The frog will fly at midnight.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The '02 exhaust is all titanium? Didn't know that and doubt it. Too expensive. I have read that some minor tuning changes have been made to the exhaust to firm up the lower-midrange, but aside from that, not much. The engine spec is not too different from last year so I wouldn't expect much performance increase.

Kawasaki is trying to sell the heavier crank as a power benefit, but we all know that it takes torque to angularly accelerate a mass, and the more mass in the crank means less torque at the wheel when accelerating. The heavier crank may help smooth the delivery somewhat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From www.kawasaki.ca's specs on the ZX9R:

"Use of KLEEN (Kawasaki Low Exhaust Emission) catalyser system helps keep exhaust emissions environmentally friendly. Depending on the market, either a honeycomb catalyser system or a punched pipe catalyser system is employed. Use of all-stainless exhaust systems or titanium mufflers also varies by market."

·
Registered
976 Posts
i think it is titanium. i know for a fact the muffler is. when i took the lower fairing off to get at the oil filter a few minutes after riding i accidentally touched the pipes. i thought i was gonna get a real nice burn. instead, i was pleasantly surprised. they were cool to the touch. i know steel takes a LONG time to cool down. these pipes were cool within a couple minutes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
i didnt HAVE to, but i didnt want to spill oil all over the inside of it when i took the filter off. i also wanted to take off the zx-9r stickers and this gave me an excuse to do it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Paul,
I have ridden the 2001 and I bought the 2002. I have to agree with Gregg that the 2002 has verry little hesitation.As for re-jetting my bike is at the Factory right now getting dynoed and I will be posting the results when I get it back.I'm going ahead with a new jet kit for as soon as Akaropivic or Leovince comes out with a new exhaust I will be putting it on. With regards to the Exhaust Ca spec's a stainless system with catilist where as the 49 state bike comes as Ti. Kawasaki lenghtened the exhaust collector a couple of inches this year to encrease low to mid range plus lightened the flyweel and encreased the crank. I have to say twhat they did along with the new carbs worked.
Dan

Officer I was no where in the area at that time!!! Trust me

·
Registered
527 Posts
The can on the non california bikes are titanium. The can on the california bikes have an additional converter in it because of the emissions laws here. I don't think any of them have a full ti system.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
EX500 -- No real changes since 1994. You only get pre-load adjustment on the rear shock. Probably doesn't make much sense to invest in an EX-500 -- particularly a new one -- and try to improve it's suspension. You're better off re-gearing a ZX-6R per Third Ninja's posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since one of the subjects at hand is a EX500 i have a question. One of the members of my club has a EX500. Because the club intends on doing a number of road trips we are curious how this bike will stand up on the road. Will it be able to keep up with 600 and up that are cruising at 80 to 100 mph? What is the performance like? She is really concerned that she will not be able to hang. Does anyone have any info for us?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts