Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the latest issue of Motorcyclist that the Dunlop 208's on the new R1 are "specially formulated" for it. What the hell does that mean? /images/icons/tongue.gifAnyone know what the deal is there. I noticed the tread grooves appear to be bigger.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I think I read it in Bike (uk mag) that they were designed for bikes that will have a greater tendency to break traction mid corner with an aplication (not sure if application has to be ample or roll-on) of throttle. Does that mean they will slide less, I doubt it But that is pretty much the jist of the article. One rider did say he rode it to the core on the track at Catalunya Spain (sp).

Don't BRAKE till you see the whites of their eyes, oh yeah remind me which is the brake lever again

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my question is:

Are the 208's on the new R1 different than the standard 208GP that Dunlop sells, and if so, how? Thanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
dont know the whole specs yet, but from what ive read the 208 are to replace the 207 for the street. supposed to combine the "legendary" handling characteristics of the 207 with a compound more like the 208GP for increased grip. the 208GP were designed for the track only, not the street. the 208's are for the street. thats all i know so far.

sometimes you just have to say "what the fock"!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
assman,...The 208GP replaced the 207GP and the 207RR is supposed to combine the "legendary handling characteristics of the 207ZR" with a compound more like the 208GP for increased grip. The 208GP is a race compound. In general, there is no 208 "street tire". It seems Yamaha has Dunlop making a special "street" version of the 208 for the new R1. I'm curious if, in fact this is the case, and what are the characteristics of this special tire. It sounds to me like it may have a compound(performance wise) somewhere between the 207ZR street tire and the 208GP race tire, but with the 208GP race profile(triangulated). That would make it different than the 207RR which has the street carcass(therefore the street, or more rounded, profile) and the 208GP coumpound.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Perhaps the most idiotic and HILARIOUS line I've EVER heard:
"legendary handling characteristics of the 207ZR "!!!/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Exactly Noud... Legendary handling maybe compared with a Ching Sing. /images/icons/smile.gif

The 207RR will be replaced, the D208 will be available soon enough to the mass public... It is a street compound tire. R1's come with them, as do ZX-12R's and RC51's. So it's not Yamaha that has them.

I can't figure out why they released the 207RR's with the 208's coming down the pipe soon enough?

Either way, there are better options out there so who cares? /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
207RR's - been out in Europe for a while I believe.
208GP - GREAT race tire!
"Stock" 208 - CORPORATE BS designed to take money from your pocket. It will be a tire "specifically made" for certain bikes - and sold as the "OEM REPLACEMENT" - it will cost MORE $$!!! It will be NO BETTER than the regular tires. Other MFRs do the same thing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
latest issue of SR has em as "what we expect will be Dunlop's replacement for the venerable D207 Sportmax. The D208 features a more rounded profile than the D207, along with new rubber compounds. Tread pattern is similar to the D208 GP DOT race tire, but with more and wider grooves. The 2002 Honda RC51 and the Kawasaki ZX-12R will also come equipped with OEM variants of the new tire." I think the D207RR will lean more to a track tire, and the D208 will be the street tire, replacing the D207 ZR. IMO. but with a 208GP, as Ian said, I dont see the point of the D207RR.

sometimes you just have to say "what the fock"!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
assman,...thanks for the info. /images/icons/smile.gif That's the most info I've been able to find so far. Even the people at the local Yamaha dealer don't seem to know much(if anything) about this new tire. The only "point" of the 207RR that I can see would be that it has the same compound as the 208GP(I heard from a Dunlop exec on speedvision) and is cheaper, though it has a more rounded profile.

·
Registered
262 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Perhaps the most idiotic and HILARIOUS line I've EVER heard:
"legendary handling characteristics of the 207ZR "!!!

<hr></blockquote>

If you consider fishtailing a handle characteristic, then this may be the tire for you!/images/icons/shocked.gif

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts