Sportbike Racing Forum banner

2002 R1 Problems

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  shamar1 
#1 ·
Well I am having my first problem with my 2002 R1. It will not start. It cranks and cranks but no go. I tried starting it tell the battery died. Half tank of gas and no engine light. This one is going back to the dealer. Had an R6 and never one problem!!

#5 ·
It's possible that you have a bad battery. Most ECM's (computers) use 5v references for all of the machines on board sensors. If the battery voltage drops below 11 voltsit may still crank the bike but, while cranking you generally will drop 1 to 1 1/2 volts. When this happens and the voltage drops there wouldn't be enough to keep the 5v reference for the computer. Without the reference the computer won't see the crank sense and the FI will not fire. I'm an auto mechanic but the FI bikes these days use the same setup that your car uses. I have seen this happen with cars. One thing to remember with computer controlled engines also is, NEVER boost them to jump start them. In other words, you can use a jump pack or charge the battery but don't use a battery charger that has a boost option for starting. It force feeds the battery and therefore all the electrical components including the ECM and sensors. You can damage the ECM, ignition module, stator or cranksensor(whichever setup your bike may have).

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

#9 ·
Well if you're worried about it happening 100 miles from home, buy a new battery then. Sucks but oh well, sure beats having to get your bike home somehow doesn't it/images/icons/wink.gif.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

#17 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

btw rob, in what part of southern nj are you...?

<hr></blockquote>

I live in Williamstown, NJ. About 15 minutes southeast of Philly and about 30 minutes northwest of A.C.

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

#18 ·
Hey Shamar1, I didn't realize you live in NJ. Willingboro isn't far at all. I bought my bike in Cherry Hill, which is just about halfway between us./images/icons/cool.gif

-Rob

#19 ·
well yzf, how long ago did you buy your bike from there...? 'cause i worked in sales there at "cycleworld" part time back around the beginning of the season last year till about june or july. we may have run into each other a don't even know it... LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.