Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dyno'd the 2002 Falco? For 2002 the derestriction procedure has changed. There is no dual map chip that has a wire to snip, the chip must be replaced in order to derestrict the air box. Aprilia only sells their chip with new pipes. They do, however, say that the bike as delivered (without derestriction) produces 102-104 HP, and derestricting the air box only results in 2 to 4 HP increase. Has anyone verified this?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Actually, it's Mille that changed - My understanding is that the new Falco-R is only a BNG (Bold New Graphics) update from the older model. My dealer just got 2 in, my eyeballs say they're the same, and he told me that there's no changes to the EFI, airbox, or anything else.

Annoying, if you ask me, but I'm a Falco owner/fan so...

However, given that there's no changes - Expect to see 106~110 in stock form. The upside of no changes is already proven EPROM, exhaust and airbox mods should give you 112~118 at the wheel.

Oh yeah - We've been bitching about the stock Falco shock since the bike was introduced - No real cure except replacement, but if you're strapped for cash you should be able to pick up a nearly new RSV one on EBAY. It'll fit and it's a big improvement.

Scott /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott, I believe you are correct about the changes being mainly cosmetic, but according to my dealer Aprilia has changed the chip and derestricting process for the US model Falco R as described in my earlier post. I do think Aprilia should be more forthright about what the changes are, and how they effect performance. I have seen posts that suggest the Falco (2001 & earlier) only produces around 85 HP without deristriction, but after derestriction the HP increases to around 106 or 108. Some how I find it unlikely that the 2002 R model produces 102 to 104 HP with restriction, and that derestriction only adds a couple of HP, but that is what the Aprilia rep in California tells my dealer. Anyway, I am confused. Part of the problem is that the bike is new, so there is no user experience to draw upon. That's one reason I would like to see Aprilia take a more open position and provide more complete information about their product.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Last I spoke with my Aprilia dealer, he told me the new Falco has an optional chip you can get that would probably bring it to that power before derestriction. But as far as he knew, the standard chip gives the same restricted 85 hp (or so) as previous models. But let's face it, I don't know any Falco owners that are still running the stock chip and cans. I also doubt very much that the bike would only gain 2 hp by pulling the airbox plug. That alone has to be the main restriction. No air, no power.......no matter what chip it has.

<font color=red>MAD</font color=red><font color=white>FAL</font color=white><font color=blue>CO!</font color=blue>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts