Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I went to pull my front rim off of my 2000 ZX-6R last nite, and the service manual tells me to loosen off the bolts at the bottom of the fork and the axel. Well the bolts at the bottom of the fork are easy enough, but the axle appears to be a 24mm allen head, something I don't have.

Am I missing something in the removal of the front rim? Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

'00 Red ZX-6R

·
Registered
633 Posts
I believe it is the same as my ZX9R. The tool in the tool kit it useless. You will need to leave the screws in the fork tight on the right side and loosen then on the left. The axle has to be unscrewed from the right half of the axle. After the axle is loosened on the left, you then can loosen the 2 fork screws on the right to remove that piece of the axle. The hex head on the left side should be a 17mm HEX, and the only place I could find one was from Snap-On Tools Online, www.snapon.com, at a price of $35.00, I think. It is 1/2" Drive only, so if you don't have a 1/2" drive rachet, you will need one. As always you could take it to a shop and have it done, but that usually is a rip off.

Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
i'm not positive on this, but i believe that the spark plug socket is designed to also fit into that allen bolt on the front forks. i'm gonna go check now.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
yup. the spark plug socket in the tool set works. the other end fits snug into the fork bolt. my bike is a 2001 6r but i believe that the 9r is the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts