Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumped into a person on a 2002, and he mentioned that 2000R1's had the power reduced in 1st/2nd gears to reduce the tendancy to wheelie. He did tell me about the workaround by adding a resistor (I think), to a sensor (can't remember exactly). Has anyone heard of this 'mod'?? Or has this geezer been smokin' [censored] recently?

thx

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Smoking some good stuff. The 2000's and up are geared a tad higher than the '98's-99's... But that's all I know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There really isn't anyway to reduce the power with a sensor on a carbed engine. On a fuel injected engine you could back off the TPS voltage (throttle position sensor) and the computer would think you weren't in the throttle as much. But, this would cause a host of problems. There would be too much air entering the motor in comparison to the injector pulse width. This would lean the motor out. Therefore, it wouldn't run too well! It would also cause a problem no matter what gear you were in. On a carb engine the TPS just lets the computer know where the throttle is so that it can make timing adjustments based on where the motor is in the powerband. On a fuel injected motor it uses many other references to make adjustments besides the TPS reading. In short....he's pulling your leg! Gearing is really the only way you can control the holeshot but it will also affect his mid-range and how the bike pulls.

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I agree with 01YZFR1. There is NO WAY of reducing power on our CARBED babies! /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have hear alot of stories ! and that one is on the far side !!! 1998-2001 R1's do not have (ECU's)-> or electronic computer control units to control the systems on the bike ! there are sensors that do adjust engine setting but they are very limited in what they can do or control ! lanR1 is correct that the only major change for 2000-2001 was gearing and that was for 1st gear only and it was not done to keep the bike from wheeling but to make 1st more usefull in real world street riding and the change in gearing was one thing alot of riders ask to be changed ! so there you are the truth in a nut shell ! hope that explains your question.

YOUTH and TALENT are no match for AGE and TREACHERY !

·
Registered
262 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I agree with 01YZFR1. There is NO WAY of reducing power on our CARBED babies!

<hr></blockquote>

I'm wondering why you would want to reduce the power of the R1 anyway! Wouldn't that just about turn it into an R6 on steriods!?/images/icons/shocked.gif

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts