Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed down to Rockingham, NC in a couple of weeks to make some runs down the 1/4. I've never taken a bike to the strip before, so i've got a couple of questions...

1. the bike is a yzf600r. will it be best to make the runs with a full tank of gas (to keep the front down) or a lower fuel level (less weight)? i'm guessing full tank, but let me know what y'all think.

2. explain the business of strapping the bike. i know what it does and why it helps, but do you strap both ends, or just the front? what do you use to strap it with (do you buy lowering straps for this purpose, or what)? how do you attach the straps?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Light fuel load, adding weight above the rear axle raises the center of gravity making the bike more wheelie prone.

HP is a poor substitute for experience and ability.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Schnitz racing sells the " strap " it is a tie down,with brakets to mount on the brake calipers. Happy medium weight wise,would be to strap it down, and have a half tank of fuel. Dont do anything with the rear as far as strapping it down,the front will be good for now. As you get more runs, and experience,you might want to drop the whole bike. It will allow you to come out of the gate harder.. Hope this helps !

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok-i'm going to rockingham on friday. i haven't gotten around to getting a lowering strap yet, so i'll run w/o it and see how it goes. shouldn't be as critical on the 600r as it would be on a more powerful bike anyway. i'm probably going to order an ignition advancer pretty soon. i guess then i'll be forced to hit the strip again to see if it improves the times any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts