Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what all the dealership does when you take your bike in for its for servicing? Do they just change the oil and filter? Because I was thinking that if it wasn't too in depth I could do it myself.

G

·
I did this. I took the manual and did everything i could do myself accept for the valves or anything i just didn't want to do. Then i brought it to the shop and told them what was already done.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
First service they will take your money , and do an oil change . Thats it . Do it yourself and like mike said grab the book and see what it says. If you have any questions about what the book tells you to look at post them and well help .

·
eStarbucks
17,313 Posts
They're supposed to change the oil, check all bolts, check all fluids, brakes etc... and double check that everything is connected properly.

I can, no doubt, see some dealers doing all of this and others just an oil change. Any kind of maintenance can be done by you if you know what you're doing.

I brought mine in for peace of mind (and it was my first new bike... so I was kinda babying it).

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I got my first bike.. first bike the dealership i went thought was going to charge me 301 dollars for a first service on a GS500F. Of course I didnt get the bike done at that stealership since it was a inline twin and why the hell do you need to charge 300 dollars for it. I think they sorta got mad at me when I burst out laughing when he told me the price of the service.

After I switched bikes I went over to another dealership and it was only going to run me 80 dollars for the service. So I actually went to them to get that work done becasue they really were a much better dealership. Point in case is that I would recommend getting the service done at the dealership if it is not a rediculous price.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Weather you do the work yourself or have the dealer do the work
KEEP all recieps & keep VERY detailed records of the work you
do to the bike. Make a check list fashoned after what the owners
book lists for service. Go thru it when you do the work, mark them off when done,
date it & sign & keep it for your records just in case you ever need wty work

·
Registered
269 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TravellinJones said:
Dclxvi, the difference in price is probably that the GS specifies a valve adjustment and the GSX-R doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah I asked them if the bike would be getting a valve adjustment. Of course they said no and all it would be getting is a basic tightening down and inspection. If they believed the bike needed a adjustment they said it would be extra for that adjustment. Which is farking rediclous to pay that much for just a look over and a oil change. :808993-banghead:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, since I changed the oil on my old bike I am pretty sure I can do this one myself. I will ask the dealer what they offer on their first service and if they do it for free.

What all do I look at for need of tightening? SP????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts